"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

So, I'm painting a small retablo of St. Joseph.

San Jose

Just some thoughts ...

I wish I could paint as simply as the santeros in New Mexico - their simple compositions are lovely.  I was going to do a simple New Mexican style retablo, then I added layers of paint detail and complicated it.  I'm not an artist or a santero - but I love the piece anyway, because it is San Jose, my dad.

Never try to figure him out - St. Joseph - let him near you - or you go to him and don't think about what his hidden life was like - just draw near him, and he will teach you silently, albeit obscurely.

I was thinking if I charged just for my time spent on the materials, prep-work, and painting - my art would be very expensive.  I think I'm going on 16 hours for this piece.

I don't care though.  Never did.  I'm content with a sufficiency. (1 Timothy 6:6)

Painting St. Joseph, no matter how badly it turns out, is a way for me to get close to him.

His feast day is coming up soon.

S. Felipe de Jesus


  1. I love San Jose too. He has always come to my aid. He always intercedes for me on behalf of my many hospice patients too. I ask him to ask our Lord to grant the patients the grace of a happy death, to ease their suffering, to enhance the effects of any medication they may need to keep them comfortable.

    I keep him busy and he knows I love him very much for it.

    Terry, that retablo looks lovely. If you decide to put it up for sale,well, I will have to line up for it. ^^ Will you ever paint one of San Jose sleeping? Reclining?

    1. Oh these are not mine - they are museum examples of New Mexican retablos.

      Thanks though.

    2. Ah ... nevertheless, I am sure your San José will be just as lovely and I am already in line to view and to admire. 😊


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.