"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I prefer to be sprinkled ...



I like ashes sprinkled rather than having them marked on my forehead.  (Not that it matters what I like.)

The cross on the forehead is dramatic and is a great witness - but sprinkling reminds me of the ancient penitential custom.  I also like to sprinkle my bread with a bit - like St. Francis... privately of course.

If you sprinkle then you don't have to wipe.  What?


6 comments:

  1. Where's the liturgical sackcloth though, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Underneath. Priests wear hairshirts I think. What?

      Delete
  2. My 2 year old grandson went to Mass this morning with his mom. He asked what the "dot" on her forehead was all about. Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cute. I saw a puppy on the news that had a perfect black dot on his forehead - if he were mine I would have to call him Ashton. I wonder if Ashton Kutcher was born on Ash Wednesday? Ashley Judd?

      Delete
  3. +JMJ+

    The ashes father used to mark my forehead were a little dry, so I got a sprinkling anyway . . . right on my nose. It is already one of my most memorable Ash Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I automatically kneel and pray with my forehead either resting on folded hands or supporting my head with my left hand on my forehead - the ashes don't have a chance of remaining. I had a guy distributing who had a very light touch anyway.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.