"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Profanity online.

Should blogging Catholics watch their language?

Larry at Acts of the Apostasy asks that question after he came across a post by a Patheos blogger.  I didn't read the post he referred to - just what Larry had to say about it.  Obviously Larry doesn't read my blog, because I tend to use words like BS and a--h--- when some news item really irks me, or as my dad might say - burns my a--.  To be honest, I agree that is not the best use of language.

So anyway.  I remember a time when some bloggers used bad language all of the time and I actually wrote something about it myself.  Yup.  Back in the olden days I wrote:
I have wanted to comment on the fact that I've noticed Catholic bloggers using the F-word in various contexts within their posts, actually printing the word - I find that just a horrible word for a Catholic to deliberately use online or in private. Unfortunately, I've used, "effing" or "f-ing" on occasion when I've been passionate about an issue, but I usually come to my senses, realize what I've done and go back and remove it.
Very often our self-righteous anger is just that, self-righteous, while we remain smug, defending our rights, often unaware of the scandal we give.

Larry is right to suggest a higher standard for Catholic bloggers, and I'm going to try and do better.

BTW - I wrote about the matter within the context of something Archbishop Chaput wrote regarding letter and emails he received at the time:
The Archbishop also said this, "The left mail I get will use terrible words but be less vitriolic. They use the F-word and things like that, call me names like that. But the right is meaner, but they’re not as foul." - Archbishop Chaput

Read Larry's post here.  And watch your mouth you filthy animal.

I know that!
I didn't say that!
You said that!
I didn't say that,
you said that!
I knew that!


  1. Terry, thanks for linking to my post.


  2. Larry - you're welcome.



Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.