"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Monday, July 19, 2010

What American Actress Should Portray Ayn Rand?

Winona Ryder of course.  Quick - someone write a screenplay.
Photo Credit


  1. Based on this pic, I will say either Boy George or Jughead Jones from Archie comics:0)

  2. Tom - Look closely - I really think she looks like Ryder here - I love Winona.

  3. Although she's not an actress--LiLo's ex girfriend Samantha Ronson is a dead ringer..

    Maybe a few acting lessons?? She sure got the drama with Lilo down pat <>.

    Sorry :) Not :)


    Oh yeah Terry-- Sir Paul Mc Cartney played last week in SLC at Rio Tinto Stadium.. a friend of mine went to see him.. said it was an awesome show :)

  4. Steve Buscemi


  5. Austringer10:40 AM

    Yup, Steve Buscemi.

  6. Austringer12:20 PM

    Larry, Johnny Depp would be an overly sympathetic choice...he would bring far too much attractiveness to the portrayal of a thoroughly nasty atheist.

  7. Austringer - only if Tim Burton were the director. And then it would be animated...

  8. Sorry Terry, Helena Bonham Carter would be better at that role. Ayn Rand would be a natural progression from her roles in Alice in Wonderland and Terminator: Salvation.

  9. Did you see the film about Ayn Rand with Helen Mirren? Helen was great! It was a disturbing film, though.......

  10. Sorry Leo, I can't stand Helena Bonham Carter.

    Elena - I bet Mirren was excellent.

  11. Ayn R. is definitely a very nasty character.
    Buscemi (he's just nasty looking as is!) would be my pick...ever see Fargo? (Yikes!)...I love H. Mirren.
    She is a real actress. First class.

  12. Hey Terry ! neat thought !

    Those pseudo 'Bette Davis' eyes !

    Winona's come-back.

    (Have you seen all those YouTube clips of Ayn Rand ? Wow...and those books ! An original 20th C. goddess of godless secularism. She was particularly disliked by my Thomistic-Prof in the seminary...)

    Tanks for da'walk down mem'ry lane.

  13. +JMJ+

    I saw the film Elena mentioned, The Passion of Ayn Rand, and I don't think either Helena or Winona could top what Helen Mirren did there. (Apologies to the fans of both actresses!)

    I've also just deleted a very long comment about the movie's source material, background, production, controversy, and everything else that makes up the web of politics around it. I guess it's sufficient to say that Mirren is absolutely convincing as the "spider" in the middle of it all.

  14. Enbrethiliel - id you and Elena recommend Mirren's film - I have to see it - I trust your judgement. I also love Winona and wish she'd do something again.

  15. LeoRufus8:24 AM

    Terry, you cannot stand Helena Bonham Carter and I can't stand Ayn Rand, I think the tensions built up by Carter playing the Rand role would be compelling. Ryder while in appearance lends a charm would not have that undercurrent of agida that Carter brings to table.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.