Saturday, December 15, 2018

'Cosa Nostra' Secrets of The Italian Family

You just learn to stay with your family.


'Our Thing'

I'm not talking about the 'mob' or the 'Mafia', but just the average first and second generation Italian immigrant family of the 20th Century.  And it's almost just as dangerous to talk about their family stuff as it is to talk about real Mafia secrets.  They will cut you off and never forgive, much less forget, if you reveal anything.  They insist they don't tell lies, but neither do they admit to anything.  So let's just say they dissimulate.

Do you work?
-No, I don't work!
Why are you dressed as a waitress then?
-No!  I don't work!

I was thinking about this after an in-law lost her partner, whom I never met or was told about, and her daughter mourned him as her step-dad.  All of these years, I never knew.








3 comments:

  1. Bah! Sounds like a Mexican family to me. ×_×

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would venture a quess like all families. In doing genealogy research I was recently told by an overseas relative by marriage that there are "a lot of family skeletons hidden in the closet." This is news to me. Those in the know are stubbornly silent which makes no sense since the quilty parties are long dead. The code of silence is strong.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.