Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Deep in thought ...

Gone are the days of instant romance 
And the nights of slow goodbyes 
That was a time of life when foxy was the dance 
But then you got wise to all my lies...
- Papillon

I didn't finish my Christmas cards.

I put the tree up, but I didn't finish decorating the house.

A friend asked if I was in
'the Christmas spirit'.

I am actually,
it's just different.

I've been thinking of the last Christmas of Margaret of Cortona.

She was hounded by gossip and rumors and suspicion to the end of her days.  The friars in Cortona sent her away to be near an isolated friary because of false accusations.  Seems timely in our day when so many are hounded by false accusations.  I mentioned this in a comment to someone on FB - I still can't articulate my thoughts on it very well, but I am reminded of St. Francis and his exposition of 'perfect joy' to Br. Leo.  It is good to keep in mind at Christmas.

The saints, in their abject poverty were especially open to understand the true meaning of Christmas.  Christ, born in the poorest conditions, no place to lay his head.  It wasn't at all cozy.


3 comments:

  1. "it's just different"

    I relate to what you're posting about. In a way, may the holiday be over soon but then again, I remember why we celebrate and pray to be grateful to our Lady for her yes to our Lord's gift. I ask Saint Joseph to guide me because without this help, I will spend the day in bed.

    I watched this little classic and made happy.

    The Little Drummer Boy | 1968

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIW7HR2LOo

    It brought back happy memories of my childhood before the storm of adulthood.

    My prayers are with you dear Terry! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wait with bated breath. Our Advent is full of worry and forbearing. Yes, this one feels different. Maybe because we are surrounded by weak traitorous men. Maybe because our faith is weak? All we hold sacred is under attack. That candle in the window is more then a pretty light. I found my favorite rosary. Lost between the bed and the wall for months. I take it as a good omen. I am grasping at straws. But it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished my Christmas cards. I would send you one if I had your address.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.