"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Country Church Fair



The Seventh Day Adventist church across the street ...

They are having some sort of fair today.  They have a band - electric piano, guitars and synthesizer.  They are playing country music and hymns.  Loud.  It's torture.  They play the same hymns Catholics do - that Haas - Gather Us In crap.  Mixed in with Grand ole-ole-ole Opry style songs, like Minnie Pearl would sing.

Horn!  Horn!  HORN!


4 comments:

  1. When did it turn into a 7th day church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally it was Lutheran - but since I moved in it's been 7th Day - the Ethiopians used it on Sundays for awhile until they got their own church. Now the Evangelical Latinos bought it and will soon move in.

      I grew up Catholic - Gregorian chant and so on - in 2nd grade no less, we rehearsed Greg. chant - specifically the Mass of Our Lady. I never ever liked American Protestant anything - but church music is the worst.

      Oddly enough - I stayed for Mass after confession in another parish, and the music was like a piano bar - the pianist was really good, and post communion was a Josh Groban song - I made it through and was able to make my thanksgiving without paying attention to the music. It becomes white noise for me, I may not have consolation in prayer, but I'm content after communion - no matter what. Praise God.

      Delete
  2. "Adaptive Sound Technologies - Sound+Sleep, Sleep Therapy System": Amazon- I got mine about a year ago, & would be in really bad shape with it. Expensive but totally worth it. Noise as you describe is horribly stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out - thanks!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.