Saturday, August 06, 2016

Transfiguration ... Mystery of Light

Peter Paul Rubens


I think of this mystery as light ... I think of a great light, a luminous cloud.  At Fatima, in one of the first apparitions of the Angel, the children described the apparitions as light: In the middle of that light appeared a cloud in the form of a young man.  Later when Our Lady appeared, Sr. Lucia described it:  "In that light which was God" - the children at Fatima experienced it as such when Our Lady opened her arms.  "And we saw in an immense light that is God ..."

It's difficult to paint light without losing the figure - but I like abstract images which do that, I think they effect the sense that you are caught up in the light, in the cloud, as it were.




The Prayer of Recollection can be like this ... it seems to me St. Peter indicates it so when he speaks of the 'prophetic message' - "You do well if you pay attention to this as you would to a light shining in a murky place ..."  That light which is God - shinning in the depths of my soul.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.