Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fr. Peter Carota died too ...

I posted this memorial on Friday, July 8, on another site of mine ...

In memoriam Fr. Peter Carota
7/8/16


+

Today, I want to share some things about Fr. Carota.

Fr. Carota was a fine, deeply faithful priest.  I didn't know him personally of course, but I've been a secret admirer ...

+July 8, 2016+


"If comparison to the lives of the saints means anything, then this priest of God finished the course; he kept the faith and he died on a Friday like His Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the only high priest. May He rest in Mary’s arms the next day, a Saturday of Our Lady whom he loved as purely as any man I’ve met." - Fr. Nix

Father Peter Carota, former pastor of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Ripon, passed away Friday, July 8, after a long illness. 
The news was posted on Father Carota’s personal blog (http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/) by a fellow priest, Fr. David Nix, as well as on the official website of The Traditional Latin Mass Society of San Francisco (https://sanctatrinitasunusdeus.com/). 
The announcement on his blog about his passing simply reads: “Fr. Peter Carota Has Passed – Requiescat In Pace. 
“Fr. Peter died this morning at 7AM. Please join me in having many masses said for him. Father was an exceptional priest and has helped us all in many ways. Pray that his soul will be at peace in the arms of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.” The announcement was posted by Father Nix. - Fr. Nix

From Karl Keating ...
Fr. Peter Carota was a late vocation, having had a successful real estate practice before being ordained in 1997. For the last several years he has been celebrating the Latin Mass (that is, the Extraordinary Form). He was a successful pastor at a parish in the Diocese of Stockton (California). Among other things, he turned around his parish's finances and left the parish with a large bank balance. Then he decided to take a sabbatical. - Keating

Fr. Carota


"I founded St. Francis Catholic Kitchen to show the community of Santa Cruz 
what it meant for me to act as a Catholic Christian by helping the poor. 
My goal was not just to feed, clothe and shelter the poor, 
but also to heal their brokenness through bringing them to Jesus and His Church. 
It was prayer that sustained our work and reminded us to do it with love."


A good shepherd, living with the smell of his sheep.

Fr. Carota was indeed a faithful priest, who also went out among his sheep, and he loved them to the end.  Another moving tribute from his friend Fr. Nix ...

But Fr. Carota was just that: faithful. So, for the upbuilding of the Church, I must describe more of this man to you. Many of you knew him to be an intractable champion of orthodoxy and tradition, but I want to highlight some lesser-known virtues of this priest of God who brought truth and light during a time of darkness.
First, Fr. Carota wasn’t just a “champion of the right,” or a “mighty whitey” priest of traditionalism. When I first walked into his low Mass on a hot weekday in a poor segment of Phoenix, I could not believe my eyes: I saw from 50 to 100 Mexicans listening to him preach in Spanish. This was a Thursday afternoon, not a Sunday morning! Many priests today talk about social justice, but still want the finest parish. Fr. Carota spent his very last years bringing the fullness of Jesus Christ and His Church to the poor by day, and you readers by night. The Mexicans (with or without papers) responded in droves to his charity and his truth. - Fr. Nix


Fr. Carota’s funeral will be on July 15th and 10:00am at the Cathedral of The Annunciation in Stockton, California.

Prayers for the repose of his soul, 
and the souls of all the faithful departed.
 

Christ, Eternal High Priest

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
 Amen.
 May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God,
rest in peace.
Amen.






3 comments:

  1. Rest in peace, Father Carota. You are like the Good Samaritan of which Bishop Barron preached this Sunday:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhOcgaEwDg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not wish to speak ill of the dead, but Father Carota was actually a very divisive priest who wanted to turn back the clock on the Church. Just one example of how extreme he was can be found in the link below, where he attributes the evil im the world to the discontinuation of the us of Latin in the Mass.

    http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2014/11/16/latin-mass-latin-exorcism-latin-sacraments-crush-the-devil/

    Here also is a short Facebook post about Father Carota from Karl Keating showing that Father Carota was so extreme that he felt people should not be allowed to say the altar server's responses in the Low Mass because he felt it was putting too much emphasis on ourselves.

    https://www.facebook.com/keating.karl/posts/684372401610678

    I pray for the repose of Father Carota's soul, but he was too far to the radical right for me.


    https://www.facebook.com/keating.karl/posts/684372401610678

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that about him also - which is why I said I was a 'secret' admirer. I stopped reading him and I don't think I ever linked to him. There was something about him though - I posted quietly about him and then someone sent me an email after I had posted on the local priest who had died. I decided to post more about him because of the apparent contrast between he and Tegeder. Both could probably use our prayers.

      The contrast - or apparent contrast - is what fascinates me. Yet they both were priests and ministered to souls who needed the sacraments. They seem at first glance polar opposites - yet they are Roman Catholic priests - forever.

      I'm always reminded of St. John's maxim about looking too closely at a man - the devil will show you his faults. It's not an exact quote and he was speaking in another vein - but it works for me in this case. I could never have been a member of either priest's parish - but there is something about them I admire.

      I just pray for them both.

      A couple of months ago a confessor told me to remember that 'we are always going to disappoint you' - he was talking about himself and other priests and bishops. It was good advice for me - very much akin to my butchered quote from John of the Cross.





      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.