"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

What's really important...

Thoughts for the Vigil of the feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel
"For I have often heard that it is more safe to hear and to take counsel than to give it.
It may also happen that each one's thought may be good; but to refuse to yield to others, when reason or a just cause requires it, is a sign of pride and willfulness." - Imitation of Christ, Bk. I, Chp. 9:3
Pope Benedict on St. Benedict.

A reading from Magnificat for the feast of St. Benedict struck me, and held my attention since I read it...

"[T]he three fundamental temptations of every human being:  the temptation of self affirmation and the desire to put oneself at the center, the temptation of sensuality and, lastly, the temptation of anger and revenge... " - Benedict XVI

The Holy Father was discussing the three years solitude Benedict spent at Sacro Speco - a time of testing and purification - wrestling with the fundamental temptations of man.

My prayer for the last day of the novena to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

"Let whoever is simple turn in here; to him who lacks understanding, I say, Come, eat of my food, and drink of the wine I have mixed.  Forsake foolishness that you may live, advance in the way of understanding." - Proverbs 9
Send forth Wisdom from your holy heavens
and from your glorious throne dispatch her
that she may be with me and work with me,
that I may know what is your pleasure.
For she knows and understands all things,
and will guide me discreetly in my affairs
and safeguard me by her glory. - Wisdom 9


  1. Now THAT'S excellent advice.

  2. I agree! And I copied some to reflect on when praying. Thanks again, Terry!


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.