"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

This is really what I wanted to say today: All men are not to be believed.

"Grant me help O Lord, from trouble, for vain is the salvation of man.

How often have I failed to find faith there where I thought I might depend upon it - and how often have I found it where I did not expect it?

Vain, therefore, is all hope in men; but the safety of the just is in you, O Lord.

Whom shall I believe O Lord but you?  You are the truth who cannot deceive nor be deceived.

On the other hand, every man is a liar - infirm, unstable, and subject to fail - especially in words; so we shouldn't be so quick in believing even that which in appearance seems to sound right.

How wisely did you forewarn us to beware of men, and that a man's enemies are they of his own household, and that we are not to believe, if anyone should say, 'Behold here! or Behold there!'" - Imitation, Bk. III, Ch. 45

"It is better to leave everyone to his own way of thinking, than to give way to contentious discourses." Ibid, Ch. 44

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.