Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Pope of Divine Mercy


Jesus, I trust in you!

I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy.  …  Through the Chaplet you will obtain everything, if what you ask for is compatible with My will. - Christ to St. Faustina.
.
Terry of Idle Speculations posted the photo I am using here in an entry informing us that the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy will be included in the Liturgy for the Mass of Beatification of Pope John Paul II.
.
I'm so happy for this - if I understand correctly, the Chaplet will be recited at some point within the Mass?  The Divine Chaplet is the one prayer Our Lord especially urged to be propagated throughout the world, and prayed every day during the Novena, which concludes today.  In fact he asked St. Faustina to pray it unceasingly.  He promised that if the most wretched sinner, the most fallen, hard hearted, repeat offender recited this Chaplet even once, that soul would not fail to receive His grace.  I can tell you from experience this is absolutely true.  The Divine Chaplet proves 'there is no pit so deep that his love and mercy is not deeper still.' (Betsy Ten Boom)
.
Another reason I rejoice that the Chaplet may be enclosed within the Liturgy for the Beatification is because I've come to understand it as a liturgical prayer - that is, a prayer based upon the source and summit of the Liturgy, the Eucharist.  I experience it as a prayer that is able to unite one deeply to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.  I believe the prayers of the Chaplet express what the priest does at Mass:  At Mass, the priest offers the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ to the Father in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.  Holy Mass is the memorial of His sorrowful passion, in season and out of season as it were - that is in Lent and Eastertide, Advent and Christmastide, after Pentecost and Ordinary time. 
.
It seems to me that the Chaplet is a form of prayer deeply uniting the soul to the liturgy - a sort of spiritual  active participation in the prayer of the Church outside the celebration of the Mass or the Liturgy of the Hours.  The Chaplet is a means that unites us to every Mass offered throughout the world, to the silent, loving action of Our Lord in the Eucharist - in other words, to the unceasing prayer of Christ before the Eternal Father.  I'm convinced it can unite us so deeply to Christ that it can become a form of spiritual communion - a means of union with God.
.
(These thoughts are simply my private opinion of course, to my knowledge neither the Diary of St. Faustina, nor the Church have ever expressed the devotion of the Chaplet in this way.  The promises of Christ attached to the Chaplet are sufficient to convince any one to pray the Chaplet with devotion.)
.
From John Paul II:  (H/T Idle Speculations)
.
"The Message of Divine Mercy has always been near and dear to me. It is as if history had inscribed it in the tragic experience of the Second World War. In those difficult years it was a particular support and an inexhaustible source of hope, not only for the people of Krakow but for the entire nation.

.
This was also my personal experience, which I took with me to the See of Peter and which in a sense forms the image of this Pontificate.
.
I give thanks to Divine Providence that I have been enabled to contribute personally to the fulfilment of Christ's will, through the institution of the Feast of Divine Mercy. Here, near the relics of Blessed Faustina Kowalska, I give thanks also for the gift of her beatification. I pray unceasingly that God will have "mercy on us and the whole world" (Chaplet)." - Shrine of Divine Mercy, Krakow, 7 June 1997
.
Our Lord's Promises Attached to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:

.
“The souls that say this chaplet will be embraced by My Mercy during their lifetime and especially at the hour of their death.” (Diary 754)
.
“When hardened sinners say it, I will fill their hearts with peace and the hour of their death will be a happy one.” (Diary 1541)
.
“No soul that has called upon My mercy has been brought to shame. I delight particularly in a soul that placed its trust in My goodness.” (Diary 1541)
.
“When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as a just judge but as a Merciful Savior.” (Diary 1541)
.
“Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death.” (Diary 687)
.
“Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy.” (Diary 687) - Source
.





  


4 comments:

  1. Catholic TV is airing a vigil today including a message from the Holy Father regarding DM Sunday. I bet it's on EWTN as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I only know one priest who promoted the Divine Mercy. He gave the chaplet to every penitent who came into his confessional and even when he could scarcely walk, he celebrated a triduum leading up to the feast day. So much more could be done to spread this devotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Way - It's been my understanding that many good priests think it interferes with the observance of Easter. Nevertheless, the devotion continues to find growing acceptance in many parishes, and it is available through books, TV, on the web, and so on - so people can practice the devotion on their own.

    I think eventually most priests will become more comfortable with the designation of Mercy Sunday as they become better acquainted with the devotion. Though it may not fit in with their personal spiritual exercises, I think the response of the faithful - especially in seeking the sacrament of penance - may help them to recognize how well suited the devotion is for the devout observance of the Easter Octave.

    Considering that the traditional readings for the Second Sunday of Easter are the exact same readings for Divine Mercy Sunday, I'm always surprised when they consider it a problem. One would think the devotion would at least be an aid to them in forming their homilies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for the links and the kind comments.

    You probably have heard of this Italian website. If so I apologise. It`s the website of the Sanctuary and Centre of Spirituality of Divine Mercy in Rome. It was set up by Cardinal Ruini.

    http://www.divinamisericordia.it/

    It has a lot of images including those mentioned in my article and yours.

    Kind regards

    Terry

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.