Friday, March 25, 2011

"It was good for me to be afflicted..."



"To learn your statutes." - Ps 119: 71
.
The more I think about the Fr. Corapi affair, the more I see it as a good thing.  I speak from experience.  Without going into personal detail, I can tell you that to be accused, shamed, and ostracised - deservedly or not - though painful, difficult and troubling, is always providential and grace-filled.  If one prays, there are always great lessons to be learned.  It is purifying to the soul, and if one is perfect (I'm not - maybe Corapi is) it can be redemptive and reparative for others.  Our nature rebels at first, but after reflection, self-examination and prayer, we find our peace and equilibrium in Christ, our rock.  While the mountains of our reputation tumble into the sea, and the facades of our own or other's construction tumble down, we are brought back to our early love and dependence upon God alone.  We turn once again to God's mercy and love that once found us broken and battered in the gutter of personal sin.  God alone is good.
.
"Though proud men smear me with lies, yet I keep your precepts." - Ps. 119: 69
.
I should probably look it up for the actual passage in her works, but St. Teresa scolded her nuns for being too concerned about their reputations and honors, while she disdained any income for her foundations.  One must not forget that she herself was subject to the Inquisition without complaint.  There is so much to learn from the humility and example of the saints.  And of course we can't forget, John of the Cross was imprisoned and persecuted by his own congregation.  These troubles were the source of great graces for the saints - just as our troubles can be for us... "It was good for me to be afflicted, that I might learn your statutes."
.
I find it edifying that we are all praying for Fr. Corapi, some of you even participating in public novenas, hoping that Father will be exonerated; but what is more interesting is how we pounce on those who have been accused of similar things, justly or falsely, and because they may not be as 'conservative' as a Corapi, we fore go any defense or support and set out to vilify and condemn those who by their office, we are still obliged to show respect and obedience.  It is good to be afflicted in conscience about our double standards and bias.
.
Good lessons to ponder here I think - at least for me.
.
"The season of judgement has begun, and begun with God's own household." - 1 Peter 4: 17
.

10 comments:

  1. Terry, it is always a great blessing when the clarity of compassionate truth in 'the walk' is stated in 'agape' and humility. May your blessings be as great or greater for those you have passed on with this 'simple breeze' of The Holy Spirit. Peace, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The following was in my inbox today, and is also posted on www.fathercorapi.com. I thought I'd share it with you today as sort of a side bar to this ongoing story.

    "Santa Cruz Media, Inc. is the owner of all of Fr. John Corapi’s intellectual property and the DVDs, CDs, and books that flow from it. We are a secular corporation and not affiliated with the Catholic Church in any way. As such, we are not under the jurisdiction of any bishop or other official in the Catholic Church, although we have the utmost respect for Church authority.

    "We fully support Rev. John Corapi in this terrible trial, not surprisingly having begun on Ash Wednesday. Through the sacrifice and struggle of the desert and all of the dark moments that this entails, we are confident that the glory of the risen Lord will shine forth from the power of the Resurrection and Easter.

    "We have consulted with a number of canon lawyers. They have assured us that the actions of the Bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas are, on several points of canon law, illicit. It is our fervent hope that The Dallas Charter will be changed because of false accusations like this. There is no evidence at this time that Fr. Corapi did anything wrong, only the unsubstantiated rant of a former employee, who, after losing her job with this office, physically assaulted me and another employee and promised to "destroy" Father Corapi. We all continue to pray for this person, and we ask you to do the same."

    There is more, but you can click here to read it: http://www.fathercorapi.com/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=82&CategoryId=25&utm_source=email_marketing_system&utm_medium=email&utm_content=13636439&utm_campaign=Santa%20Cruz%20Media%27s%20statement%20regarding%20Father%20Corapi%27s%20suspension

    It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

    PS: And Terry, you have been right about how suffering is necessary, how trials will strengthen us, and how personal attacks such as these (whether substantiated or not) should be a call upon each of us to do a little house-cleaning.

    Of course I'm praying for Fr. Corapi, but he's human; repentance is not a one-time thing, and no human is above it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina said, "repentance is not a one-time thing,..." so true. it's a daily thing (or it should be). monastics have a vow called conversatio morum, translated as conversion of manners, which incorporates poverty and chastity. basically a daily, renewed commitment to ongoing conversion. something we can/should all do/benefit from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sepaking of affliction...

    It was snowing today...hard...

    I had to ride my motorcycle in it to get it to the shop..needs to be worked on...

    I survived....just now I am starting to ge some feeling back into my body..

    I don't have to do any more penance for the rest of my life.. :)

    But my bike will be ready when gas hits $4.00/gallon..
    :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Terry!!

    I found a JOB for ya!!

    South Ogden City is asking artists to come up with design ideas. The winning design will be painted on 2 one-million gallon water towers. The winning artist will receive $1500.00 Download the complete Artist Packet here. DEADLINE FOR ART SUBMISSIONS: APRIL 29th

    http://www.southogdencity.com/

    You'll be FAMOUS!!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a web page showing the towers and a bit more detail on the location...

    It would be WAY COOL if a Catholic artist could get the commission!!

    http://www.ogden4arts.org/Call%20for%20Artists%20South%20Ogden%20City.htm

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara-
    I can go you one better.
    Today I was cleaning the chicken barn and pulled off the oldest vaudeville trick in the book: I stepped on the head of a rake, and the handle snapped forward and hit me in the head. Now one side of my face is swollen and my ear is bright red.
    Today's penance accomplished by shear stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie--

    Oh OWWW!!!

    Tomorrow is my weekly barn detail and the weather will probably be lousey...but horse poop waits for no man..as well as horses shedding their winter coats and needing SERIOUS grooming..I should get extra penance points when its wet snowy cold...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been offline all day - painting - Gina - that news is interesting...

    Sarah - thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your blog, which I have added to my blogroll.
    I can't tell you how refreshing it is to find someone else who is skeptical of Fr Corapi's tales; I was feeling pretty isolated in the midst of the outpouring of outrage at these accusations.
    While I have no idea if he is guilty of these charges, the fact that tickets to his appearances run upwards of $100 on the internet is scandal enough: www.caelumetterra.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.