Monday, September 04, 2017

Blessed Catherine of Racconigi

Blessed Catherine of Racconigi
1486 – 1574
Feast day September 4




An extraordinary mystic and stigmatic - although the wounds not visible until after her death. A Third Order Dominican, towards the end of her life she was pretty much ostracized by townsfolk and even the Dominicans, due to the strange lights and sounds which emanated from her house.

Her situation reminds me of Margaret of Cortona who also fell out of favor with the Franciscans because so much gossip followed her all her life, and she too was sent away from Cortona towards the end of her life.

Gossip and malicious stories follow a person, sometimes all of their lives.  St. John of the Cross prayed 'to suffer and be despised' - he too was badly treated by his confreres.

 




4 comments:

  1. Another one of the hidden saints. It is amazing how they really are all around us. Not the ones in the news or on the blogs though. It is comforting to know that it maybe your next door neighbor or the quiet one at church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it that grouchy folks (who holler every now and again) can be found to be saintly too. I remember reading that St. Jerome was on the grouchy side of things but was kind too ... there's hope for us grouchy folk too. ^^)

      Delete
    2. Thank you YaYa. I probably fall into the grouchy category! I definitely am not one of the quiet ones. As you well know I have an opinion on everything and am not shy in expressing. So, you have given me hope that I to many achieve sainthood. (I think I am kind too. At least after the grouchyness passes!

      Delete
  2. Sept. 4 is also when we remember Bl. Dina Belanger. When she died in 1929 she promised her family and friends to be a "beggar of love in heaven." Very Theresian :)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.