Monday, August 21, 2017

Heavy burtations over Fr. Martin's bridge building.



I'm thinking it's not safe.

I wouldn't, couldn't recommend Fr. Martin's book, but I still won't say anything bad about Fr. Martin.

That said, I'm convinced identity issues are a trap - 'coming out' sears the identity into the personality.  It's akin to branding.  You're marked.  It wasn't always like this.

That's all I have to say on that.  I'll reprint something I wrote a long time ago to expand a little on what I'm trying to say.

"I know of these romantic friendships of the English and the Germans. They are not Latin. I think they are very good if they do not go on too long... It's the kind of love that comes to children before they know its meaning." - Cara, Brideshead Revisited
The relationship of Charles and Sebastian in Waugh's novel Brideshead Revisited can be said to illustrate the concept of what might be understood as a transitional homosexuality; Cara noting, "In England it comes when you are almost men." In the book it is clear Charles moved on from any inordinate affection he may have experienced; while Sebastian's homosexuality was more entrenched, in the end, as a sort of porter for a monastery, he was obviously converted and found peace. I expect fans of the novel will disagree with me on the details, but it works for my purpose here.
I believe it true that not all men who identify as same-sex attracted are 'fixed' in homosexuality, which happens to be a fact glossed over by homosexual activists, and even priests such as Fr. Martin, who seem to regard it as an irreversible, even natural sexual orientation. Indeed, activists seem to think 'once gay always gay', rejecting the idea that some men, given the motivation can change, although one must first be able to move on and out of the behavior. This is why homosexual molestation, or pederasty is so very evil, not to mention the indoctrination through sex education programs in primary school, middle school, and high school. (And yes, it is true, as the catechism states, the orientation is not sinful in itself, just the behavior, and by extension, advocating for normalizing or promoting the behavior.) - Source

I'll leave it at that.

I highly recommend living in fidelity to the Commandments and the teaching of the Church, which means sanctifying one's life in and through chastity and fidelity to the duties of one's state in life.  Many difficulties and obstacles are removed in the process.  As the Catechism affirms:
Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection. - CCC
 Courage Apostolate is around today to help the Sebastian Flytes live in fidelity to Catholic teaching.

"Despite claims to the contrary, Courage has 'no interest' in trying to redirect someone’s sexual attractions. What we do have an interest in [is] helping people to live all the virtues well.'” - Fr. Check

1 comment:

  1. Terry, thank you for the Brideshead reference. I got hocked with the PBS series then the book. It was far better, I thought then Downton Abbey. The whole mix of aristocracy and Catholicism in England, the family dysfunction, Sabastian's lost life and Charles fascination as a Protestant outsider was, for me, compelling. I think you are right about the situational aspect of some "gay" behavior. Freud was probably the first to openly discuss sexual feelings as "normal" in stages of development. I always thought Sabastian was running from his family and the demands they made on him, but you have a point he was also running from himself. In the end, I think he is caring for a very sick man who it is implied was his partner and is dying. It is worth rereading. I love the quote that goes something like this: once a Catholic always a Catholic. You can run far away, but faith and grace are an invisible string that will pull you back from total disaster. That we all are so lucky in the end.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.