Saturday, August 19, 2017

Another thought on Fatima ...

The only photo I have of the icon
I did for the World Apostolate of Fatima.

We must be very careful not to take one part of the message and allow it to overshadow and obscure the full truth of Fatima. I fear that some have concentrated only on the secret, the collegial consecration, the practical details of the conversion of Russia or the various phenomena such as the solar miracle or the vision of hell and by so doing miss or render myopic the Blessed Virgin's central teaching: The application of the grace of the redemption is accomplished through the Church, the Mystical Body of Christ. By giving himself or herself unreservedly to God through conversion, prayer, sacrifice and other acts of charity, each member of the Church is called to be an instrument of Christ in the work of saving souls. - Fr. Frederick Miller
I know Fr. Miller.  I did an icon for him, and another which he commissioned for the World Apostolate of Fatima, which has since been lost BTW.  (Or painted over, but that's another story.)

Fr. Miller has always emphasized the theological and catechetical dimension of the message of Fatima, the call to holiness and fidelity to the Vicar of Christ.  I have not been in touch with him for many years, but I'm sure he has not changed in his promotion of the Fatima message and devotion.

 Rereading some of his writings, it seems very clear to me that he thinks in accord with the Church and not only accepts and believes the consecration was accomplished and accepted by heaven - he understands its significance and purpose.  Our Lady requested the consecration to prevent the spread of errors propagated by atheistic communism and for the conversion of Russia.  It was a message for the Pope.  It has been accomplished, though errors have spread.  Yet Russia has been converted, churches reopened and so on.  Communism has collapsed, the Soviet Union broken apart, and so on.  Communism may not be entirely eradicated on a global scale - principally because the errors of Russia have spread throughout the world.  In explaining why the entire Russian nation did not return to the faith in a mass conversion, Sr. Lucia said the Russian people are free to return to God - or not - God respects our free will.  Nevertheless, the Russian Church has been 'resurrected' so to speak.

Which is why I'm confused and disappointed by people who lobby to have the Pope consecrate Russia once again.  

Anyway.  I have to let it go.  I've spent too much time on the subject and my opinion doesn't have any effect upon Fatimists.  If they don't believe the Holy Father or the Church, or even the seer Sr. Lucia, they will never be convinced.


10 comments:

  1. I have a holy card version of your icon which the Blue Army had printed. It contains the Blue Army pledge on the opposite side. They also made holy cards which just depict the Mother of God with Her Immaculate Heart as shown on your icon. The "To thy patronage" prayer was on the flip side of those cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me that! God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Terry. It's been 4 years since I posted the above reply, but I wanted to let you know that the holy card that I described is being sold currently on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252355803039

      Delete
    3. Thank you Gustavo. It's nice to know someone appreciates my work.

      Delete
  2. People hunger for spiritual nourishment and knowledge. So many false prophets are fooling them. Yet, the real deal is available in nearly every community, at least in the developed world every day. The Mass is the greatest miracle of all. It just is not as sensational. I think of the sheep and the goats and how the sheep know who the good shepherd is while the goats stubbornly refuse to listen. I cannot wait for Monday to come and go so we can move onto the next big phenomena that predicts our doom. Beautiful icon Terry. I am certain you received special graces for such a loving image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think of the sheep and the goats and how the sheep know who the good shepherd is while the goats stubbornly refuse to listen"

      I see the goats as in negotiating a better outcome for their final sojourn. They know that being stubborn will cost them dearly should they persist.

      And yes, the holy Mass is the greatest gift given to all. May we never forsake such a gift for the knowledge of so-called "secrets."

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wallace. Perhaps the special grace Our Lady gave me is that of finding her Immaculate Heart my refuge and way to lead me to God - as well as a special concern for the Pope.

      You both are right - Mass is the greatest miracle of all.

      Yes - after tomorrow we move on to the next drama. LOL!

      Delete
    3. Tomorrow is the feast of St Pius X.

      Delete
    4. On the eclipse! The United States is the only country in the world to ever have an eclipse. What?

      Delete
  3. We're the only country. What?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.