Thursday, August 24, 2017

Figurative Monstrances



I'm against it.

I don't mind elaborate monstrances, or simple ones with little or no ornament, but it seems to me figurative monstrances distract from the Eucharistic mystery.  Sometimes designs for monstrances w ant to express every little - or big - detail of the faith.  When in fact everything is contained in the the simplicity of the Blessed Sacrament.  Our devotion finds it source in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, so it seems to me introducing or mixing it up with other devotions and or 'causes'.  It's why I sometimes think adoration should be encouraged with the Blessed Sacrament reposed in the tabernacle, or even in a veiled ciborium, and exposition made more solemn with Benediction by a priest.  Today is 'Adoration Day' at a few parishes near me.  Laity repose the Blessed Sacrament - with no Benediction.  Sometimes if a funeral takes place, laity move the Blessed Sacrament unceremoniously to a chapel, to continue adoration.  They may do so with devotion, but it strikes me as bit pedestrian and much too casual.  Frequently, even when the priest reposes the luna containing the Blessed Sacrament, he does so without ceremony - that is, without any form of closure, such as the Divine Praises or some hymn.

The decline in reverence and faith in the Eucharist can't just be blamed on liturgical abuses often connected with the Ordinary Form of Mass.  Just as Mass attendance wouldn't necessarily increase if only the Extraordinary Form was in wider use, Eucharistic devotion isn't necessarily increased by elaborate monstrances.  I'm convinced that if the Blessed Sacrament was restored to the center of the church, in a suitable tabernacle, and of course in direct proximity to the altar of sacrifice, the disconnect from the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass would no longer be possible.

As for figurative monstrances, they have their place, but it seems to me they need to represent the mystery they contain.  Elements of the Passion; angel or saint adorers of the body, blood, soul, and divinity surrounding the nimbus, as well as signs of the Kingship of Christ seem fine to me.  Yet if the Blessed Virgin is incorporated I would almost think it would be more appropriate to see her as part of the stem or support, or flanking the monstrance.  I love the imagery of the Ark of the Covenant, but for me it detracts from the Blessed Sacrament - it seems appropriate as a tabernacle, but not as an ostensorium.  Obviously, others more knowledgeable than myself will disagree.


Yes

No


Yes

No

Yes

I don't like this monstrance
but yes, this seems acceptable.

Yes.
This is my preferred style of monstrance.

Yes

12 comments:

  1. Third one with the cross and crown = yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. In total agreement. I know they are not meant to be this way, but when I see the figure of our lady or a saint with the Eucharist embedded in their abdomen or in their hands it just seems to me that we run the risk of some people thinking we're worshipping the figure or the statue with all of our adoration and prostrations directed to our Lord. Again, I know this is not the case but I just don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have this from a deacon. I don't mind a lovely monstrance - but simple emphasizes the Blessed Sacrament I think.

      Delete
  3. Too distracting is my first reaction after looking the pictures over.

    I like it simple, quiet, calm and reverent. I like numero seven best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you have written in this post. That odd Marian Monstrance from the Church in Chicago is particularly horrendous in person. They must have custom Altar Breads made because the Host is at least a foot in diameter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem to love it - I have commented on it before and heard from them.

      Delete
  5. And yes, number 7 is lovely. Can you even get monstrances like that any more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure - I think I came across one online before, can't recall where. I also like the filigree Gothic style, which resemble the facade of a church, sometimes with statues in the niches.

      Delete
  6. The Lord is the point. The Lord is the center. If the monstrance does not place Him front and center, it is an error, a distraction. I just want to sit there and look at my Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say "no" to the 5th one. It looks like a Hindu god headdress. It wasn't until I saw a hi-res image of it that I could see that it's supposed to represent Jesse's tree. I find it too busy and distracting with all those figurines.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.