"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Monday, June 01, 2015

Caitlyn Jenner - gender stereotype.



It's all about the look - and, I suppose feelings... but there's more to it than that.

I'm surprised feminists aren't slashing themselves over this one.*  Annie Liebowitz doing the shoot - or not - Jenner has become a mannequin for clothes, make-up, and hair; and worse, a gender stereotype.  The slang term is 'bimbo'.  After reading the article(s), watching the interview with Sawyer, I don't think there's a lot going on in that head.
“If I was lying on my deathbed and I had kept this secret and never ever did anything about it, I would be lying there saying, ‘You just blew your entire life. You never dealt with yourself,’ and I don’t want that to happen.” - Jenner's response to second thoughts on facial-feminization surgery.

An ironic statement to say the least.

As a woman of 65, Caitlyn looks pretty good.



*Although if Jenner goes through with genital surgery, that might herald a sort of feminist victory over patriarchal dominance, thus rendering the chosen gender stereotype more tolerable.  Cutting the male genitalia might be considered as a sort of homage to ancient, matriarchal origin metaphors connected to menstruation; making the transition a sort of blood ritual, an emasculation ritual far more extreme than circumcision, which ancient pagan cults connected to Goddess worship ...

For a better understanding of my analogy, read this article by Bevil Bramwell, The Return of the Pagan Gods.

Please read my follow-up post, Bruce-Caitlyn Jenner: Menstruation Myth and Metaphor in Neo-pagan Culture here.  


H/T Judy for the cover story.

7 comments:

  1. He should change his name to Kaitlyn Kardashian... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After viewing this 'cover' I have new respect for the monumental powers of Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. photoshop and airbrushing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "As a woman of 65, Caitlyn looks pretty good"

      I agree. If I was photoshopped and Annie was behind the camera, well, I sure would make a splash too.

      I don't like where this is heading. All of a sudden it seems the "in thing" to do...to accept anything without question and if one should question it, well, then one is considered a bigot and a hater.

      What does the Church say about such issues as gender transformation? I can't really find anything in the CCC.

      Delete
  4. I just think it's too bad that he had to do this. The picture is lovely but that's the wonder of Annie Liebovitz and filters.

    I think a lot of these guys wear makeup, get hormone shots and leave the original equipment alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually serious when I link this to Goddess cult - esp. in Jenner's case.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.