Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Catherine of Siena: Fearless and fiery...




But not a Savonarola.

Catherine wrote a lot of letters, but they were private - not for public consumption. Raymond of Capua wrote her biography. He was also her spiritual director and knew her soul. She never acted on her own. She never had a bonfire of the vanities. She never was able to ascend a pulpit to condemn or deride the evils of the day. She didn't walk about Siena or Avignon, or even Rome, trying to make a name for herself.

She wrote letters. She met with important personages who sought her counsel, she was a spiritual guide for many, and she even reprimanded, albeit charitably and privately, the Pope and civic leaders.

If she had a blog or wrote books would she have been like us and publicly condemn and deride and scoff like we do? I don't know. I doubt it very much. Would she approve of some of our more searing posts against others? I doubt it even more. All I know is that she rarely if ever went public with her rebukes and condemnations, she wrote in confidence, moved by divine inspiration. As she wrote to one of her spiritual sons, a priest:


“I am ignorant and not very insightful. Everything else is from supreme eternal Truth: give him the credit, not me.” - Catholic Exchange review of Fearless and Fiery, Letters of St. Catherine


Perhaps if any one of us aspires to be like Catherine, we should first pray for the grace to imitate her penance, her solitude in the cell of self-knowledge, imitating her prayer, which lifted her soul in heroic charity - intense love of God and neighbor.. - then those of us who dare, may try to reform the Church.  Remember, perfection lies in union with God through charity...

5 comments:

  1. You're making me not feel good about myself, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. I don't want that. You are one of the better bloggers and not at all mean-spirited or uncharitable.

    This post is very much for me. I came across a rather harsh post about a local sister and felt ashamed because I once wrote something as mean-spirited about her.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I might add, there are bloggers out there who imagine they are doing St. Catherine's work - or carrying on in the same spirit, if you will. My real intention was to point out that Catherine did what she did discreetly and charitably. Some also imagine the devils harass them in the way they did Catherine, when I suspect they themselves may be the cause of their own vexation.

    In a way, all I'm saying is that if we think ourselves to be so perfect, the measure we should use is Catherine's charity - love of God and neighbor, as well as her forgetfulness of self - rather than her militancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading snippets every night from The Royal Way of the Cross by Francois Fenelon. Early on his suggestion is that we imagine ourselves as starving and completely dependent on God to eat. By keeping ourselves in this constant state of hunger and want, we can think of ourselves as totally empty, big nothings without God or His help. Very helpful post Terry, thanks. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. By imitate her penance, you mean in spirit, right? Because she did some pretty harsh things to her body that most spiritual directors wouldn't recommend ...

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.