Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The ongoing apparitions at Lourdes in 1858...



Recalling them today...

Yesterday, February 18 marked the third time Our Lady appeared to St. Bernadette at Lourdes in 1858.  It was also the first time Our Lady spoke to Bernadette:
"The third time was the following Thursday. The Lady only spoke to me the third time. I went to the grotto with a few matured people, who advised me to take paper and ink, and to ask her, if she had anything to say to me, to have the goodness to put it on paper. I said these words to the Lady. She smiled and said that it was not necessary for her to write what she had to say to me, but asked if I would do her the favour of coming for a fortnight. I told her that I would. She told me also that she did not promise to make me happy in this world, but in the next."
 
Rene Laurentin translates Our Lady's request this way: "Would you have the kindness to come here for fifteen days?"  Adding, "I do not promise to make you happy in this world, but in the next."

Since the Holy Father made his announcement on the feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, I cannot help but connect his final days as Pope with the sequence of apparitions at Lourdes.  The 28 of February marks the 11th apparition.  The 16th apparition and final of the fortnight ended on March 25, the date Our Lady reveals her name, proclaiming solemnly, "I am the Immaculate Conception."  Our Lady appeared twice after that, the last apparition occurring on the feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, July 16, 1858.

Our Lady's fourth apparition took place today, February 19.

NB: Bernadette prayed her rosary at every apparition, while the Blessed Virgin fingered the rosary she held along with her as Bernadette prayed.  Though Our Lady did not explicitly ask us to pray the rosary, it was implied.  However, Our Lady did make an urgent request, calling for "Penance! Penance! Penance! Pray to God for sinners..." 

Photo: Pope Benedict at Lourdes, 2008. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.