Friday, February 03, 2012

Painting


The Garden of Death -  Hugo Simberg

I'm trying to paint.  I told myself I would do an icon-style painting of Blessed Alberto Marvelli, and I did the drawing and the transfer onto the panel, but I cannot tie myself down to painting something quite so carefully as such a project requires right now.  I haven't painted in over a month.  Part of my neurosis is that I allow myself to become intimidated after going so long without painting.  I lose my focus and can't figure out what to do - and i think everything is worthless.  I spiral down from there. 

Yesterday I decided to paint something fun instead of something so serious as a saint.

Turns out I'm painting a priest levitating holding his tablet, and maybe a cell phone - just for fun - no studies, no drawings - just an untrained amateur painting without rules.

The art shown here is Finnish, it is a detail from a fresco in a cathedral, by 19th century painter Hugo Simberg. 

5 comments:

  1. Well even though you're painting didn't end up in the results that you wanted it to be, I still find that image above wonderful. :D


    Puerto Azul |
    top tourist destination in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:33 AM

    The painting above is striking indeed.
    I am sure the inspiration will come Terry, I love your art so keep going!
    Blessings,
    Ann:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry - one of my neighbors is into woodworking - makes furniture, hope chests, etc. He told me when he finally got over his fear of making mistakes - he called it "being daring" - his work really blossomed.

    Not sure if that helps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm still waiting for you to add to my tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad loved watching Bob Ross (the artist/painter) on tv sometimes and I remember Mr. Ross "proclaiming" whenever he accidentally painted something he didn't like, "oh well, a happy-mistake"). So I thought I'd relate that to you. Works for me,too, LOL.. RosaMaria...

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.