Friday, February 18, 2011

+ Fr. Matthew Kelty OCSO +



Two friends inform me that Fr. Matthew Kelty of Gethsemani Abbey, Kentucky died today.  He was 95.  He persevered in the monastery 51 years.  Blessed is he who dies in the Lord.  May the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

+
Since he clings to me in love, I will free him;
protect him for he knows my name.
When he calls I shall answer: 'I am with you.'
I will save him in distress and give him glory.
With length of life I will content him;
I shall let him see my saving power.
Psalm 90
.
H/T: Thank you Michael and Jeron.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 PM

    May he rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry: Thank you. His homilies are wonderful. Lovely treasure. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. an amazing man. he was a Divine Word Missionary before becoming a monk, i believe. he was a 40-ish novice of thomas merton's. when i first met him, he was serving as guesthouse chaplain at gethsemani. i loved the talks he'd give to retreatants after compline. accessible and gentle with a twinkle in his eye. i regret not returning sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:55 AM

    May light perpetual shine upon him. We shall be praying for his brothers as they lay his body to rest. May his Spirit be "lost in wonder, love, and praise." Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here I am looking for a good idea for a Holy Saturday reflection - and I find that Fr.Kelty has gone home to Heaven.

    May God bless him forever, and all the good Trappsist.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.