"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Mass-chat...


Novus Ordo Watch.
.
I went to the vigil Mass last night since I wasn't sure what the morning will bring weather wise - freezing rain can be so slippery when iced. Well, to be honest, I usually go to the Saturday vigil Mass but hate to admit it online because there are people out there who think that doing so is a liturgical abuse somehow. I know - the Church doesn't say that - just church-people. Not a few also imagine the Novus Ordo is not as good as the traditional Mass, today known as the Extraordinary Form. Yet both are valid and equally efficacious -  i.e.:  going to Mass on Saturday evening and the Ordinary vs. Extraordinary Form.

.
Anyway - Saturday evening's Mass was beautifully celebrated, and the lector read the Letter of St. Paul as if it was Paul himself speaking - I had never heard it read like that. Father celebrated well - yes he left out something - but I didn't care since it wasn't part of the Mass anyway... And hymn-hater that I can be, the cantor sang beautifully - and I think I did too! All in all it was a beautiful celebration of Mass, according to the Ordinary Form - Mass of Paul VI, in English, etc.. I don't know what came over me that I felt able to worship appropriately.
.
I'll bet just having made my confession helped.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good Mass, Terry. I go to Saturday night a lot, too. That picture is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a "ciggie" to get you through the day!:<)!
    You are absolutely right on about this whole 'Mass business'...I celebrate both forms; I just try to pray the Mass, no matter what else is going on, and be faithful to the rubrics. The Mass is "Christ among us"; we can never forget that. The second reading in the Office of Readings today was from the "Document on the Sacred Liturgy" and was a good reminder of all that you said, Terry.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, I was wrote something about the Novus Ordo mass today myself. http://bit.ly/6zqaeU if interested -
    {yes, yes it looks as though I have reopened LuminousMiseries as the written side of drawntocatholicism.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aceman6:39 PM

    T-man, I barely made it to the low Mass at 8 this morning. I had every intention to be there for morning prayer at 7:30, but you know about the best of intentions... There were 9 of us there crowded into the Lady chapel, plus Father, the clerk, and the server. No music, no incense, but I felt God's presence just as much as at solemn Mass with all it's pomp and grandeur. Sometimes it's the still, small voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ter: You make an excellent point about having just been to Confession. I've noticed in myself that I made an extra effort to avoid sin (read: be cranky) when I'm still in the afterglow of absolution. I overlook stuff that would drive me crazy otherwise.

    Maybe the world would be a better place if everyone went to Confession! Well, I know it would be..

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.