"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Pastoral care.


Post Halloween Mass.
.
Last evening Father invited all the little kids to wear their Halloween costumes to Mass because there would be a pizza party afterwards, and because he wanted to celebrate the Christian side of Halloween as well.  (I don't know - that's what he said.)  Last Saturday was Halloween of course, and I expect the little nippers would have been much too distracted and way too busy trick-or-treating to come dressed up or stay for a party.
.
It was very cute really.  All the little animals, super-heroes, princesses and witches processed in with Father and Deacon.  Then at collection time they all ran up front to put their money in the kid's collection box - OH!  And then!  And then - after Mass - but before the final blessing, they all assembled on the altar steps to a round of applause and photo op. 
.
I know!  I didn't get it either.

7 comments:

  1. LeoRufus8:52 AM

    I think next Halloween I will dress up as "The Spirit of Vatican II": A smart little red outfit with the usual hooves and pointed tail but accessorized with a red sequined Bishop's Mitre supported between two goat's horns, and carry a pitchfork instead of a crozier, and for a censer a smoking red handbag swinging on a chain reeking of the "Smoke of Satan". I think it would do well at a "Youth Teen Mass".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Oh no, it sound horrible! Last night my pastor announced there would now be a children's collection... we have to take an extra few minutes while all the chidren parade up to the altar to bring their offerings (money, papers with their chores written on them, food, etc.) I am beyond frustrated, and yet my priest wonders why hardly any young adults come to Mass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    The "children's collection" is a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know our Lord said, "Let the little children come unto Me."
    But in Halloween costumes? Really?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:41 PM

    I don't get it either. Our group was having an All Saints Party after Mass and the organizers wanted them to attend Mass dressed in their costumes-as Saints. But, even that just seems inappropriate to me. This is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. NOT a costume party! I somehow don't think that St. John decided to dress as Moses while at Calvary. I know. I'm such a party pooper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So did the little nippers say "Trick and Treat!" during Communion?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.