Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael

I suppose "we're" not supposed to feel bad that a pop star died. But Michael Jackson was huge - he grew up - or never grew up - in the public eye. He wasn't well educated, but he was a musical genius, which indicates a very high intelligence and sensitivity, hidden beneath a glitzy facade.
.
I really feel sad and sorry for him. I know there is "yucky" stuff in his adult life we may never know the real details of. He came out of an abusive household, he had a mean dad who exploited his own kids... To be sure he never had a normal childhood - hence he never grew up. He never became comfortable with adults, much less with his peers - he had no peers. So yeah, he was a Peter Pan guy. One of my first thoughts after I heard he had died was: "The pain is over now, the scandals and the world can't hurt you any longer." But that is how the world thinks, that isn't reality either, we tell ourselves that stuff so we can feel better about a tragic end of a tragic life.
.
My deepest concern is his salvation. He grew up in a false religion - Jehovah Witnesses, and reportedly, just in the last few years he turned to Islam. Obviously Jermaine did as well, since he invoked Allah to bless his deceased brother.
.
Death is huge. It is the culmination of our earthly life, the pinnacle of our career as it were. It is the moment we enter into our true destiny for all eternity. Eternally. Poor Michael... for all of his talents, all his riches, all his fame - his entire life had been lonely and dysfunctional - and he died numbed to his existence on Demerol. Looking back on his life, it should be no wonder he tried to recreate himself cosmetically, constructing a never, never land populated with children. No wonder the pain killers and the mental illness. He wasn't educated, he had no real religion... what happens to a soul like that when it leaves the body and comes before God? We can't know in this life.
.
When people I "know" die, celebrities or nobodies - I pause and pray for them. Death is the moment when whatever their lives had been, they are going to meet God, and nothing is more important than that. So I pray, because I never want anyone to be lost.
.
Michael Jackson is dead. He will always be honored on earth for his talent - pop culture makes it's own kings and queens and canonizes it's own saints and martyrs. But all of that passes away and perhaps on that account may be justly mourned... yet even that passes away.
.
We all should be conscious of our last end. It comes like a thief in the night.
.
Photo: Album cover, Off The Wall. This was my favorite studio album of Michael's - Quincy Jones produced it. And if I could post one of his songs to accompany this reflection it would be "Remember The Time".

6 comments:

  1. Now that the comments are open, here again are simple thoughts via my drawing.

    By addition I would say that this, this kind of news event, is one way which we as Catholic Christian can have a profound impact on souls. By that I mean we can pray, we can take the energy we might spend otherwise joining the throngs of the inconsiderate - mean spirited Christians, who add there unhelpful commentary to world events and world non events - and pray for souls that have left this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delightful authoress/traveler out in LA, Laurie ("CrazyAuntPurl") has a nice blogpost about him with the same album cover. At any rate, praying with you for Michael and for all who loved him.. and for (apparently Catholic) Farrah and her crew, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owen - that is perfect.

    C - I check her out.

    Elena - that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so bad - I started laughing when I heard he died. I am a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not bad - just inapropriate maybe.

    Music, musicians has/have always been very important to me, they have provided a soundtrack for my life and what I create - similar to authors, who have informed and enlightened my work.

    ReplyDelete