Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dressed to kill... and it wasn't called cross-dressing then.


Fun fashion facts.
.
1968 photo of a male model in a silk jersey leisure suit. The suit was part of a NYC fashion show featuring, "Clothing For The Emancipated Man." Prices ranged from $1000 to $3500 per ensemble. (I actually remember the press on this.) Though extreme for the time, the look may have been popular with some of the aging royalty from the Fire Island, P-Town, Bucks County set, otherwise it never really caught on - except in Minnesota of all places. I may be mistaken, but I am fairly certain the trend inspired the designers of Zubaz Pants. (Zubaz shown below.)
.
Macho, macho man, I've got to be, a macho man...

9 comments:

  1. I forgot to add, This post is dedicated to Cathy of Alexandria, she loves hairy men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:19 PM

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

    Zubas.

    Dayum.

    -Cathy not of Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Emancipated Man." It sure is nice to know someone out there is fighting to set us free. I just wish those same people would divert some of their energy at cracking the glass ceiling for men in the work place:0)

    That's right! Cathy does like hairy men. If I'm not mistaken, she went out with BOTH cavemen from the GEICO commercials.

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang!!! Zubaz pants. I thought I had blocked those from my memory bank. thanks for the daymare, big boy! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. my memory has failed

    i don't recall anything like this stuff in my wardrobe

    but then again, unless there was photo evidence to the contrary, who'd ever admit that owned any

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zubaz became popular in Minnesota when we were one of the centers of professional wrestling and those steroid enhanced behemoths loved them for their loose fit.

    Everybody was afraid to laugh at them. Pro wrestling may be fixed, but those guys are pretty tough dudes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Jim - no one would admit it.
    .
    Ray - I laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Ugly threads...real cute model. I refuse to say more on the grounds that I have most likely already incriminated myself.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.