Thursday, March 14, 2013

Holy Father Francis Visits Madonna Salus Populi Romani


His first official act...


He slipped into the Basilica of St. Mary Major around 8 AM to present his votive offering to Our Lady. 

He then prayed before the relics of the Creche.

I find it hard to express my thoughts about him.  The joy is so deep.

His Holiness somehow has reignited something deep in my soul...
He represents the Church I returned to in 1972...   
At the time, I was fully aware of the flaws and wounds in the Body of Christ, but I had fallen in love with the poor Jesus, the naked, wounded, disfigured Jesus.  I was grateful for the Eucharist - even when the tabernacle was pushed aside in some closet, where I was able to pray and adore Him - wounded heart to Wounded Heart.  Even when the minister, the priest may not have followed the rubrics or was less than edifying - he gave me Jesus.  Whether he absolved me of my sins in a downtown skyway in mid-afternoon, without a stole, or in a confessional, he reconciled me to Jesus... 

I'm rambling, I can't do more.  I recognize now how far I have fallen from my first love.  Francis has given me that insight. 

Francis is the Pope.  All the silly prophecies mean absolutely nothing today.  All the Peter the Roman stuff is finally at an end - the tales of St. Malachy finished.  The voices of the few, a figment of pious meditation, filling a void only the grace and mercy of God can fill.

The Church continues, survives, endures, lives.

The cappa magnas and pomp cannot impress me.  The scandals will be straightened out...

The Church will follow the poor Jesus... and when lifted up... like Jesus crucified, the Church will draw all men to Himself - Jesus ...
 


Prayers in thanksgiving to the Most Blessed Trinity for our Holy Father Francis.

 

11 comments:

  1. Amen

    (A side thought I've been having because of some things that I've read: if your first reaction is to wonder what form of the liturgy he will celebrate, your priorities are severely misaligned.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Thom! And don't hold your breath for a papal tiarra come back.

    What a relief, huh? What an affirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the beautiful reflection! May God bless Pope Francis and God bless the Church!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Promises to be an interesting and invigorating Pontificate. Funny how simplicity can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By Jorge, I think you've got it, Terry.

    I'm just delighted with Pope Francis. I couldn't stop smiling as I read that he left the Conclave on a bus with the other cardinals, eschewing the Papal Mercedes that was waiting to wisk him to his palace, just so that he could return with them to the hotel, pick up his own bags, and pay his bill.

    Have I fallen through a portal to a parallel universe? The pope on a bus? Is that any way for Jesus's representative to behave? Just what is this guy trying to pull, here?

    I watched his Mass at the Sistine Chapel today and thought to myself, "Man, somebody's gonna blow a gasket when he sees this stuff." Jesus is back; not big on long tassels, apparently. There's gonna be trou...ble.

    Pope Francis makes me want to become a Christian worthy of his era. I can joke about the specks in the eyes of others, but I really wanna get that beam out of mine, now. I don't want to miss what our new shepherd wants me to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Terry, I feel the same way. I feel a deep peace and joy.
    .

    And Peter the Roman was never supposed to be a single individual, which is what I have been saying but people still don't get it. I think the Prophecy of St. Malachy is over because it has been fulfilled. A new age has dawned for the Church, with a Pope from the New World.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me tear up a little every time I read it. Thanks, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now please don't get mad at me - I just posted a silly bit on St. Malachy unaware of the comments here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing too hard to be mad. This blog has helped me to keep my sanity during the conclave, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone who's read this blog for more than a week knows that silly is never far away.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.