Monday, November 07, 2022

This is the best.


 This is such an important message.  I've seen unforgiveness online among Catholics, some who have even left the Church - we all need to forgive.  Over and over if need be - just as much as we all need to ask for forgiveness, especially in the sacrament of Penance - over and over and over.


MEDITATION OF THE DAY

Believing in the Power of Forgiveness

When I forgive somebody, one of the things that allows me to forgive is faith.


God can convert something good even out of evil. Let’s say I’ve lived through an evil; I have suffered, I was wounded, but I believe that God is powerful enough to bring goodness out of everything, even the evil committed against me. In the Gospel reading for the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, the angel tells Mary that nothing is impossible for God. If we have faith that God can convert a good thing out of evil—an evil that we’ve suffered through—then God can heal our wounds, and forgiveness is easier. In the world today we have a hard time forgiving, and one of the reasons is our lack of faith. We are convinced that our wounds are definitive and will never be healed; we think there is no remedy for evil.


Forgiveness is also an act of hope. When I don’t forgive, I’m condemning someone. That means that I’m identifying the person with the evil he or she has ­committed. I see the person as guilty and bad. I don’t want to forgive him or her. I have no hope for the person; I don’t think he or she can change. On the contrary, forgiving someone is a very beautiful act of hope. This person did something bad, he or she committed a wrong act, but I don’t want to identify the person with the bad action because God still loves this person who has done something bad. God is working in that person’s heart. Perhaps the person will convert. The person I’m judging and condemning will perhaps one day be a great saint. When we look at the lives of the saints, there are assassins, adulterers, criminals—but grace changed their hearts….


When we forgive someone, we set that person free of revenge or judgment. But it’s not only the other person we set free; it’s also ourselves. Every time that I forgive somebody, I set myself free…. Be encouraged to ask for the grace of forgiveness and practice it.

Father Jacques Philippe

Father Philippe is a French priest, a member of the Community of the Beatitudes, and a renowned spiritual director. / From Real Mercy: Mary, Forgiveness, and Trust, Maria Masterson, Tr. © 2016, Father Jacques Philippe, Scepter Publishers, Inc., New York, NY. www.scepterpublishers.org. www.frjacquesphilippe.com. Used with permission.

8 comments:

  1. My cabin “up North” is increasing Amish country. My wife and I patronize a farm stand and have a friendly relationship with the family. I have recently read some books on Amish customs and history. Forgiveness is one of their main teachings. When a gunman in the Midwest killed a number of their children at school a group of elders immediately went to the gunman’s family to comfort them. This for me is superhuman behavior. It is What God calls us to do. I ask myself if I could?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Exactly*, Mr. H! I am so glad our dear Terry posted this today. We all needed to hear this, especially on election day, and especially me. It may seem as if we are two countries - our two Churches - but we aren't. It's okay to disagree. It's not okay to rip someone's throat out because they oppose our views. And I always try to remember that Jesus never brought anyone to the Church by screaming at him or her - it was by gentle persuasion and his outstanding example. Peace and all good, my good Mr. H and Terry!

      Delete
  2. Oh Susan, I fear we are being put to the test. I once saw a movie on FDR’s infidelity. Eleanor said she could forgive but not forget. I think that’s were I am more or less. It makes me more sad.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Mr. H - God knows we are human, with feelings, imperfections, and passions. It would be ideal to immediately forgive, but we aren't all made like that. Sometimes it takes prayer and time. I know this sounds hokey, but I always remember a scene from "The Bells of St. Mary". The Sister who was the school principal, played by Ingrid Bergman, was told she was transferred at the end of the movie, and had to leave her beloved school and students. She got on her knees and prayed to God to take the bitterness away. That's what I have to do sometimes. When we care about people, our Church, and issues, and put our heart and soul into these things, disappointment, bitterness, and betrayal are inevitable. The thing we have to do is to keep our eyes on the prize. God bless you, my friend - I will remember you at the Consecration at Mass today.

      Delete
  3. Susan and Wallace, I certainly feel put to the test in these times. I just don't know what to say at times. So I pray more and more - Jesus, I surrender myself to you, take care of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear brother - sometimes, when I don't know what to say, I don't say anything. If people misunderstand, that cannot be helped - God understands, and that's more important. I am sorry to know you are put to the test. That always happens to those who are close to Jesus.

      Somehow, people seem to have the impression that everything is easy and sunshiny when we are close to Jesus (like the gospel of Joel Osteen!). Remember the suffering endured by those who were closest to Him. His best friends were tortured and hunted down, and even His own mother suffered grievously, lived in poverty, was undoubtedly treated with scorn and humiliation when she was pregnant, was widowed, witnessed her innocent beloved Son being tortured and murdered without reason, and worked hard every day of her life.

      I do not say this to belittle your suffering, but to comfort you by saying you are in good company, Terry. Be at peace - I am praying for you.

      Delete
  4. Be at peace, Terry. Those who are closest to Jesus are always tested. I don't know where we got the idea that if we are Christian, that we have an easy time (perhaps the gospel of Joel Osteen?!) Maybe God is preparing you for something special - a new challenge, or a special task He wants for you.

    Jesus Himself suffered terribly, and worried, and dreaded what was going to happen to Him. And then He was tortured and murdered. His very best friends were hunted down, tortured, and killed. His own mother undoubtedly lived with scorn and humiliation when she was pregnant, was widowed, witnessed her innocent, beloved Son's torture and murder, and lived in poverty and worked hard every day of her life.

    I am not saying this to belittle your suffering, my friend. It is to remind you that those who are closest to and most beloved by Jesus are sent suffering. You understand - perfect joy.

    I will include you in my prayers and Rosary, dear Terry. God bless and protect you.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.