Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Compline



We prayed Psalm 90 at Compline every night when I was a novice.

I prayed this verse with all my heart - still do.

Since he clings to me in love, I will free him,

 protect him, for he knows my name.

I love the entire psalm.  I thought of it again today, considering how many seem to be falling away from the faith.  Not necessarily belief in God - but walking away from the Church.  Many are scandalized, feel rejected and abused, finding solace and acceptance elsewhere, and so on.  Never judge, never condemn - we never know what happened - even when they try to explain it.  Remember, even the most fervent can fall away.  Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus.  There is a song I love, which reminds me of Psalm 90, and it reminds us that we must trust Jesus as savior and redeemer...

If you're lost you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting
Time after time - Lauper/Hyman

A popular priest online tweeted, "Dear God, help me to focus on the Catholic faith and not on Catholics."  That's not quite right - the focus must be upon Jesus, who inspires and perfects our faith.

Cling to him in love and he will free you, he will protect you and reveal himself to you.



Psalm 91 (90)

1He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,

 and abides in the shade of the Almighty,

 2says to the LORD, “My refuge,

 my stronghold, my God in whom I trust!”

3He will free you from the snare of the fowler,

 from the destructive plague;

 4he will conceal you with his pinions,

 and under his wings you will find refuge.

 His faithfulness is buckler and shield.

5You will not fear the terror of the night,

 nor the arrow that flies by day,

 6nor the plague that prowls in the darkness,

 nor the scourge that lays waste at noon.

7A thousand may fall at your side,

 ten thousand fall at your right:

 you it will never approach.

8Your eyes have only to look

 to see how the wicked are repaid.

 9For you, O LORD, are my refuge.

 You have made the Most High your dwelling.

10Upon you no evil shall fall,

 no plague approach your tent.

 11For you has he commanded his angels

 to keep you in all your ways.

12They shall bear you upon their hands,

 lest you strike your foot against a stone.

 13On the lion and the viper you will tread,

 and trample the young lion and the serpent.

14Since he clings to me in love, I will free him,

 protect him, for he knows my name.

 15When he calls on me, I will answer him;

 I will be with him in distress;

 I will deliver him, and give him glory.

16With length of days I will content him;

 I will show him my saving power.

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me we are once again at a dangerous crossroad. We in America have a unique heritage being the only nation to have been conceived in the freedoms of democracy and separating Church & State. US RC Catholics long were suspected as being more loyal to the Pope then the President. Catholic. We have, I think, proven ourselves as capable of being able to be loyal democrats & faithful Catholics. This dual allegiance is now under stress. I have no idea where it will lead but if history is any guide we are in for a ferocious battle. Divide & conquer weakens both the Church and the nation. We are at that crossroad now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Be with us, Lord, as we stay awake. Watch over us as we sleep. That awake we may keep watch with Christ, and asleep, rest in His peace." Yes, Mr. H, I hate to say it, but it is beginning to feel as if we Catholics are increasingly becoming persecuted because of our Faith. I know that may sound rather melodramatic, but when prospective judges are questioned as to their loyalty to the US because they are members of the Knights of Columbus, or because they practice their Catholicism conscientiously, we have taken several steps backward. Yes, when we are divided, we become weak, and that is exactly where we are at the moment. Our own people - our fellow Catholics - are attacking those who strive to live as Catholics. It is diabolical. God bless and protect us all.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.