Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Jean Vanier

Jean Vanier: Sept. 10, 1928 - May 7, 2019


The saint is dead.

Jean Vanier died during the night at the age of 90.  He has been an inspiration for me, a correction of conscience, and a living witness to the Gospel.  He is, in my opinion, the living embodiment of the Little Way of Confidence and Love as taught by St. Therese of Lisieux.  Jean Vanier, along with St. Mother Teresa, as well as Madeleine Debrel are models and helps to me as I try to follow Christ in ordinary life.  I love what Fr. Martin had to say:
James Martin, S.J., the editor at large at America, said: “Jean Vanier showed us, like few people ever have, the overwhelming power of gentleness. Not only in his ministry with the disabled but in his voice, his demeanor, his very presence. During his life there was no one I thought more deserving of the title ‘living saint.’” - America
"There is strength in weakness, light in darkness and beauty in what the world declares broken."

"Our mission - said Jean Vanier in an interview with Vatican Radio (see video below) - is to encounter a world of extreme weakness, poverty and suffering, people who have often been rejected... L’Arche is a place of reconciliation where people of very different religions and cultures can meet and this transforms the lives of people with disabilities, but also transforms the volunteers. L’Arche, after all, is a place of celebration where the aim is for everyone to be happy (...) We want to be a sign of the importance of people with disabilities, because they have a message to give, but few know it: they, in fact, were chosen to be the great witnesses of God.” - VR
Dear Jean Vanier, obtain for me a portion of the love which animated your life, a portion of your spirit of charity to care for others and not judge or ever again look down on anyone.  I thank God for the grace of your being, the witness of your faith, the love with which you embraced the most abject and abandoned.  You shared your life, your home with strangers, who in turn became your family - your one hundred fold in this life and your eternal reward now in heaven.  You exemplified for the world genuine, disinterested friendship and equality with the disabled, the outcast and marginalized, obtain for me the grace to follow your example.

Each person with his or her history of being accepted or rejected, with his or her past history of inner pain and difficulties in relationships, is different. But in each one there is a yearning for communion and belonging, but at the same time a fear of it. Love is what we most want, yet it is what we fear the most. - Jean Vanier
'You don't need to pretend.
You do not need to hide your weakness.
You can be yourself.
I didn't call you to l'Arche or to another form of community
first of all to help others
or to prove that you were generous or efficient.
I called you because you are poor,
just like the ones you came to serve,
and because the Kingdom of God is promised to the poor.' - Jean Vanier


 I should mention there is already a cause for sainthood for Jean's parents Georges and Pauline Vanier.  Biographer Mary Frances Coady notes:
An incredible thirst for God can be seen in the lives of this couple, who were always striving in spite of (and through) human imperfection. The excerpts from letters and journals in this volume show a rare example of the contemplative life and struggles in prayer of an active and prominent married couple. The Vanier story is unique in that it forms a direct link back to the spiritual teaching that includes St. Thérèse and the Carmelite tradition in its emphasis on simplicity, trust in God's love, and self-abandonment to the mercy of God. - Source

12 comments:

  1. He was an inspiration to me as well. In the 1970's my wife and I worked as "house parents" in an ARC group home very much inspired by his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, you wrote an absolutely beautiful tribute to Vanier and a compelling witness of how his life work impacted yours. I lived in a l'Arche community many years ago and it changed my life forever. So important to be able to lift our eyes to someone whose life was lived in the footsteps of Christ in this particular moment in history. God is control. Not I. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Beth, some people on FB are trying say Jean endorsed euthanasia or supported the Canadian law, but I've countered with statements from L'Arche and other accounts, as well as Jean's own appeal not to take his comments out of context.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I saw those. I am amazed st how anxious some are to find fault. Thank you for doing the checking and countering the false accusations.

      Delete
  3. He was a refuge for so many who suffered in this great storm that is life. May heaven be his. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote about being accepted or rejected - it made me cry. I have a suicidal friend and this describes EXACTLY what this person is experiencing. Your quote couldn't have been more timely. I am praying for Jean Vanier to intercede for my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saints don't support euthanasia. I hope he repented before he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve heard that his “support” was either exaggerated or a straight up false. There is a video about it but I haven’t seen it

      Delete
    2. I should say “reports of his support”

      Delete
  6. TN you are correct. I’ve lived for the last 21 years in a L’Arche household and have been on retreat with Jean a few times. To claim he supported euthanasia is not only an out and out lie but also completely illogical when you look at his life’s work and witness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Terry:

    I was wondering if you know who it is that is blessing Jean Vanier in your second photo. I am wondering if it might be Christopher Goodchild. That would be really magnificent.

    https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/media-centre/our-influencers/autistic-champions/chris-goodchild.aspx

    Man, do I miss Vanier. In the past few years, we have lost so many people of peace who really understand the gospel. Jean Vanier. Sister Wendy Beckett. John Bentley Mays. We have big shoes to fill.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.