Monday, August 13, 2018

Pope Francis said “If we do not oppose evil, we feed it with our silence.”



I agree.

Once I asked Mark Shea what an ordinary person could do to stop an evil he was writing about on his FB page.  He said to keep blogging or posting about it, in order to keep it in the public eye - the more people who are aware of it, the more likely something can be done to stop it.  I liken it to the importunate widow who nagged the Judge to rule in her favor - the Judge relented because she wore him out.  That's what we do when we post about the sexual abuse crisis, the homosexual connections, and the cover up by those who are supposed to be responsible for the souls in their care, and those affected by the scandal.

Ampleforth and Downside.

The scandal emerging from the abbeys in the UK remind me of the scandals surrounding St. John's Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota.  Years ago when I was with the Trappists it had the reputation of being a hot-bed of homosexuality.  Monks were seen regularly at the gay bars in Minneapolis on the weekends, when those who were priests were in town to help out with local Masses.  (Some of these guys eventually leave monastic life to serve as diocesan priests - which is one reason I'm against admitting formerly active homosexuals to monastic life, BTW.)

A friend sent me a Tweet posted by Fr. Ray Blake of St. Mary Magdalene Blog:

raymond blake In the UK today fresh revelations about abuse at Downside and Ampleforth schools I have taken part in the Requiems of boys from these schools who killed themselves.
Voris is right, any toleration of abuse leaves blood on our hands and the Church.

Infinitely sad.

How many victims of abuse have committed suicide?  How many murdered?  My friend asked me that, pointing out that these deaths are not simply a statistic but affect family and friends and others, so scandalized they may have lost the faith, turned to some sort of addiction, or simply ended in lifelong depression.

Sometimes it angers me, but mostly it just makes me sad.  I'm always surprised when over the years I have heard priests and vocation directors say that a monastery seems to be the traditional home for men who have repented and left the homosexual life behind.  At one time perhaps that was the assumption, that penitent could do so safely?  Many think they can do that, or they think religious life is the only means they have of salvation.

A few years ago a reader told me he was investigating religious life and one of the groups he looked into would not accept ssa/gay men.  To my surprise he said he would look for a group that would.  I know that happens.  It's too bad.  It is not fair to the candidate to give such bad direction or false hope concerning vocation.  I know this from my own experience.  Not everyone is like me, to be sure, but many seem like a re-run I've seen before in my experience of fellow novices, and fundamentally, it's too similar for comfort.  In my case, at least four of us had 'same-sex-attraction' (gay) along with the novice master - in a class of seven men.  (One normal man persevered - and died a saintly death as well.)  For the most part I had no idea about the others until years after I left.

The way gay monks and gay priests have been transferred around to other dioceses or monasteries, and sometimes given desk jobs or chaplaincies, is a huge part of the scandal - to this day.  To. This. Day.

We either believe what the Church teaches - or we don't. 

Homosexuality is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil...

And don't be fooled,
it really is a problem of homosexuality, McCarrick.



6 comments:

  1. I think Mark Shea was right, Terry.

    Some people are so weary of all this they are just ignoring it, hoping it will all disappear when they wake up in the morning. And some people think, if anyone questions the clergy/hierarchy about anything, that that person is disloyal to the Church or a bad Catholic, that we must fall all over ourselves respecting the clergy/hierarchy whether they are true to their vows and office or not, because that was the way we were brought up. It's easier just to focus on ourselves and worry about our own salvation and just muddle along, leaving others to their fate.

    Personally, I think if it is a situation of a soul being endangered and tortured, and sin being condoned and encouraged, it is our duty as Catholics to not only pray, but to do what we can to protect the person being damaged - both the victim *and* the perpetrator.

    There are so many examples of this in Catholic history and teaching. St. Francis embraced the leper, even though lepers were isolated and ignored and shunned by society. Mother Teresa did the same, and endured personal humiliation while assisting those in need. Jesus did not step aside and walk away when the woman accused of adultery was being stoned, nor did He ignore the man who was under attack by the devil. Even on His cross, he was worried the salvation of Dismas and the other thief. Jesus and His holy servants not only prayed and fought evil in their hearts - they stepped up and defended those who were in trouble. I think we should follow their example.

    To truly be a member of the Catholic Church - the Holy Church established by Jesus Himself - means to be part of a community, a family. A good brother or sister *does not* stand idly by and ignore another who is in mortal danger, spiritual or otherwise.

    I know sometimes you feel you should throw in the towel and keep your thoughts on this subject to yourself, dear Terry, but I hope you don't. Being a member of the Church militant sometimes means being a soldier and a defender of the Faith. Sometimes it is uncomfortable and burdensome, and sometimes others attack us when we speak up for what is right. I know it sounds rather grand, but maybe it is your part of God's plan to do just that via this blog and the way you live your life.

    Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my two cents! Forgive me if my thoughts are unclear and I babble on for too long, but I think this is something important. God bless you and all here - Susan, OFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I appreciate your thoughts and replies.

      Delete
    2. Susan always gives us uplifting reminders to remain steadfast. Thanks Susan and thank you Terry for your words.

      I'm just wondering though, with all the talk about McCarrick's double life grand deception, only a handful of bishops/cardinals have been vocal.

      Where is the outrage or demands for clarification as to "how this cleric rose through the ranks" from the dubia originator?

      Many reasons exist for the silence from the vast majority but it seems odd that his is among them.

      Anyway, just thought I'd ask. 😆

      Delete
  2. I wonder the very same thing Yaya. My bishop still has not commented on this, like so many others. Which is not to say he and they are guilty of hiding anything. But it does not inspire confidence. Nor is it reassuring. The longer they wait, the more uneasy and angry the laity is getting imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. My thoughts exactly Unknown.

    And for the record, just because we, the laity, are asking does not mean we are condemning nor are we accusing because of their silence.

    BTW, Janet Smith has an interesting interview in print on the National Catholic Register website.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.