Monday, January 22, 2018

Watchman Joe




Some thoughts on Joseph Sciambra's apostolate.

I have deliberately refrained from writing about homo stuff, simply because one cannot really do so without either supporting pro-homo religious men and women, or condemning them - the division is becoming so clear these days.  I just don't want to engage in that kind of discussion anymore.

Nevertheless, I've been following Joseph Sciambra's work - his coverage of Catholic efforts to welcome gay Catholics - and in some alarming cases - approve homosexual acts, is very important.  Joseph catches these stories and discusses them.  I may not see it in exactly the same way as Joseph does, but he has a unique vantage point and is exposed to much more than I am.  What he does cannot be  a fun job, in fact it has to be an exhausting job - especially now as opposition to Catholic teaching is increasingly promoted by Catholic priests and laity.  It is disheartening for those who struggle to live in accord with Catholic teaching - many times it feels like a betrayal, and many can be discouraged and left feeling even more abandoned and alone in their struggle.

So often those who struggle are told to simply accept themselves as they are - not a bad idea in and of itself - however, the suggestion implies one needs to follow their inclination, find a partner, and settle down.  What that implies is an active sexual relationship - in opposition to Catholic moral teaching which states very clearly 'in no way can homosexual acts' be approved.  Men and women who accept that teaching need support, they can find it in and through Courage Apostolate, yet not all bishops and priests promote that apostolate.
I will run the way of your commands;
you give freedom to my heart. - Ps. 119:32
Because the struggle can be difficult, especially for younger men, living chastely doesn't always mean the individual does not experience falls.  (Hence, people are told that it is their 'nature', they need to stop fighting it, and so on.)  Indeed, frequent recourse to the sacraments, especially the sacrament of penance is a deep and profound expression of fidelity, it is the will of God, the antidote to a sinful life.  Thus, in all humility, the individual can pray with Christ, "I have more understanding than all who teach me, because I do your will." [Ps. 119]  Those who teach that homosexual acts are good, are in fact wrong - hence the individual 'has more understanding' than these false teachers.  The individual is faithful to God's will in and through his commitment to persevere - frequent confession is his best weapon.  In time, God will deliver him from the struggle, and save him from making the mistake of rejecting Christ and His commandments.  (That's the only way 'it gets better' BTW.)
Whoever has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me. The one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and reveal Myself to him." John 14:23.
In the past I've criticized Joseph Sciambra - he seemed a bit extreme at times, but I've definitely changed my mind about him and just want to recommend his website to readers.  I just checked it out recently and I was rather surprised at some of the stories of priest and bishop promoting the idea that homosexual acts are not sinful.  Like I said - Joe is doing a good job covering these stories, and I don't envy him in that.  He needs prayer, because the 'struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens.'  [Ephesians 6:12]

Of all of those who 'go out to the peripheries' Joseph Sciambra is one of the most courageous and loving man I have ever heard of.  God bless and protect him.  Hopefully he can avoid being exploited by conservative voices on social media.  His message is important in and of itself and shouldn't be sensationalized, or be used to support conspiracy theories.


3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that there is a great divide that can never be bridged in this regard. I do not have an ax to grind on either side. I just know that I have enough work to do on myself without taking on the monitoring of others sexual behavior. So long as children are protected and not exploited as too often has happened and continues to happen I will leave this subject to the individual and their confessor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I thought this was important to post - it started out as something else. But I agree - this is something for the individual and the confessor to work through.

      Delete
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHeiSKxCI8

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.