Saturday, September 16, 2017

So what is 'Modernism' anyway? Or, "What's so wrong with Fr. Martin?"

"You traverse sea and land to make one convert, 
and when that happens you make him a child of Gehenna 
twice as much as yourselves." - Matt. 23:15

According to Fr. Nix. 
So why [...], “Leave Fr. James Martin alone!”? Endure this one boring doctrinal paragraph before getting to a whole new battery of overdone similes and metaphors that I’ll hopefully never pull out again. Doctrinally, the heresy of modernism has nothing to do with being a modern Christian in an age of technology. What Pope St. Pius X named as the heresy of modernism is essentially the denial of the supernatural and a religion that is anthropocentric (human-centered) not theocentric (God-centered.) When did it start? 
Some people say modernism influenced the minds of Catholics in the West beginning with the Enlightenment in the 18th century. Others will say it started with the Protestant revolt in the 16th century. Others say it started with Vatican II. Others who are very clever will trace it all the way back to Francis Bacon or maybe Adam and Eve at the fall. Or Satan. That debate is unending. But really, from all of my study on this, I don’t believe that the heresy of modernism entered seminaries until sometime just before World War I. Then, Pope St. Pius X first excommunicated Fr. Alfred Loisy (a Scripture professor at a French seminary) in 1908 for denying the divinity of Christ, denying parts of Divine Revelation and overturning the supernatural side of the sacraments and the miracles of the Bible. Notice that Fr. Loisy was not discussing liturgical innovations or challenging the Church’s teaching on contraception. Rather, the root of modernism is a very denial of Divine Revelation. Fr. Loisy himself wrote:
“Christ has even less importance in my religion than he does in that of the liberal Protestants: for I attach little importance to the revelation of God the Father for which they honor Jesus. If I am anything in religion, it is more pantheist-positivist-humanitarian than Christian.”—Mémoires II, p. 397. 
I’m not saying that Fr. James Martin would ever write this. So, don’t jump to any conclusions quite yet. Follow me here: Fr. Loisy did not really believe in the Bible. I know that sounds more like an evangelical sticking-point than a Catholic sticking-point to some, but Fr. Loisy kicked off this modernism thing by implying to many others in the Church that really God did not mean what He said. It started to sound a lot like the enemy of human nature: “‘Did God actually say, “You shall not eat of any tree in the garden”?’”—Genesis 3:1. Notice that Satan weasels his way into the heart of Adam and Eve not by the temptation of the sin, but first by the temptation against Divine Revelation: Did God really say in the Bible? This is the root of the heresy of modernism. - Padre Pelegrino

That explanation shines a new light on the controversy surrounding Fr. Martin, S.J., for me at least.  This whole affair is much bigger than I thought, it's as if everything is coalescing, revealing its true face, as it were.  Or at least I'm able to see the problem in a broader context.  In other words Modernism really is the synthesis of all heresies.  Did I know that?  I don't think I thought about it.  Did I suspect this was the case?  I think I did, but like I said, I chose not to think about it.  For that I'm culpable.  I'm sorry, and I apologize.

Joseph Sciambra is right, he's been right all along.

Listen to me, people of all nations, men, women, and children, all of you who bear the Christian name: If any one preach to you something contrary to what the holy catholic Church has received from the holy apostles and fathers and councils, and has kept down to the present day, do not heed him. Do not receive the serpent’s counsel, as Eve did, to whom it was death. If an angel or an emperor teaches you anything contrary to what you have received, shut your ears. - St. John of Damascus

Art: James Ferringer. 

21 comments:

  1. You know I shun most Catholic blogs, but this latest from Father Martin was sort of hard to avoid. I was shocked. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not well versed in the Church heresy known as modernism so your post enlightens me on this subject. Looking at that particular time in history makes clear it is not what we would today consider modernism to be. I do love tradition and the Church I grew up in when young. Looking back contains a rather high degree of romanticism however. I recall my parish church full for every Mass, but not much in participation or really living a Christian life. People "heard Mass." it was something observed like a performance. Deep spiritual reflection no doubt happened, but it was not encouraged, shared or obvious. Many people seem to overlook that a form of the Mass preexisted the High Latin Mass we have attachments to. I do think we viewed sacraments in a much more reverent way though. If Christ returned, unannounced and unnoticed, I wonder which literacy he would choose? The only Mass he ever attended was the one first one he initiated; the Last Supper. I suspect he is pleased and gratified with all legitamite Masses. Ones that have valid consecrations. If Modernism rejects the sacraments, the divinity of Christ and the Mass then it is, in my book, a heresy. It is anti Catholic and antiChristian and nothing more then Buddishm or Hinduism. A collection a nice ideas, valuable philosophy but not Divinely inspired. Just saying.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallace - totally agree with all you've written.

      Delete
  3. I am reading a futurist novel by Olivia E. Butler titled the Parable of the Talents. I guess the religion described in it coul be called Modernism. I just read a reference to Hebrews Chapter 13 which I have copied below. It reminded me of this discussion so I want to share it.
    " Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

    9Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace and not by ceremonial foods, which are of no value to those devoted to them. 10We have an altar from which those who serve at the tabernacle have no right to eat."


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - Hebrews 13 is one of my favorites - esp. "let us go to him outside the gate to share his shame." That's where I always end up - which is thebest place for me.

      Delete
  4. Terry, did you see this?

    https://www.americamagazine.org/magazine/2017/09/16/jesuit-leadership-and-americas-editor-issue-statements-support-james-martin-sj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did - Fr. Jim posted about it. I think it is laying a foundation of documentary support and think some of his critics maybe should get an attorney if they continue to defame him online or accuse him of this or that. He's a published author facing defamation. This could get much bigger. I'm talking civil suit, not anything canonical.

      Delete
    2. Having a difference of opinion isn't defamation.

      Delete
    3. It's also more difficult for someone who puts himself in the public eye to claim defamation. Read Z post witj Rd Peter's explanation of terms.

      Delete
    4. Being a lawyer, you would know better than I do. However, some online are getting close to libelous terms and accusations, as well as orchestrating a campaign to have him banned from speaking and so on - I'm recalling the Rosica and Domet fight, and considering Martin got Catholic Vote suspended for a few hours, I think complaints are being filed and lawyers are being consulted. Ed Peters prints reasoned criticism and facts without resorting to labeling Fr. Martin. People should consider following his lead and avoid extreme language and claims about Martin's fidelity and sexuality.

      Michael Voris was once banned before and Cardinal Dolan's people had him removed from the St. Pat's Day parade. Church Militant may need legal advice.

      Just saying. No one has to agree with me.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this, it's excellent! I'm intrigued with the painting. Who painted it, what does it portray...what does it mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the artwork? Detail of a classic work or contemporary made to look classic? It's intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Diakonos and Aloysius - the painter is listed within the post, at the end, in grey tone so as not to be obvious. I didn't link because some of his other work is a bit sexually explicit. You can google his work: Art: James Ferringer. The piece I used I found on Pinterest a couple of years before without knowing who the artist is. I searched for the artist yesterday and found his work.

      Delete
    2. Ok...I googled him. I can see what you mean about his work...maybe it is because I am an artist myself but I can deal with it...and I find some of his works very interesting and reflective, though I have only browsed and not researched his reasons and pathos.

      Delete
    3. As an artist I can deal with it as well - I've just had readers in the past who object sometimes. Yeah - I like his work and technique - like looking through gauze in some images. I'm glad you like his work.

      Delete
    4. I checked out the artwork of James Ferringer, and it is very homo-erotic. That's an understatement. Some of them have religious theme that, to me, are unnerving. He's clearly a VERY talented artist. Of all the paintings I saw on the website, the one you posted is by far my favorite. There is something about it that is authentic and not just erotic. It speaks to me of the desire of the homosexual man to be held and shown affection by another man.

      Delete
  7. I decided to read through his Facebook page. What I didn't understand is his outspoken support of Sr. Jeannine Gramick. She supports abortion.

    I suppose I can only assume he knows exactly what he's doing and what effect it is having. The sort of effect it is having in one friend I know, who is latching on to it as a reason not to change...I respect Fr. Martin's intellect enough to think he knows about this sort of effect.

    The Church does reach out. Jesus reaches out...let his arms be forcibly wrenched out from his body so as to reach out, and spills His blood to do it, and that blood trickles down and washes us in the Sacrament of Penance, and all we need to do is kneel and begin with "bless me Father for I have sinned" and when the temptation comes again to cry out "Jesus, Jesus, be to me a Jesus" and kiss the image of this reaching out and when we can't even get that far to beg Our Lady to bridge the gap and through all that wrenching eventually we will reach out our own arms and be crucified on our own crosses and no other "outreach" will compare.

    Michael (holyface.wordpress.com - experimenting with blog URLs I guess)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that support of Gramick is troubling. I'm sad about that.

      As you point out the Church does reach out, as Catherine of Siena discussed, Jesus Crucified is the bridge - and you stated that as well. So what to make of it? Fr. Martin, I mean. It appears he doesn't believe as the Church does. It seems some people will be given false hope.

      I pray for him and the conversion of sinners as Our Lady asked at Fatima.

      Delete
  8. I first saw this image on Abbey Roads back in 2014 although you seemed to have removed it since then:

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h5wMkPl90Fo/U9rVw8-q-iI/AAAAAAAA1tU/pmkHzw_RduY/s1600/pope-saint-pius-x.jpg

    Here is my original comment from 9/9/14:

    "Of course the buff guy under Pius' heel is not an actual likeness of Alfred Loisy who in reality looked like a meek academic. The guy could represent those infected with the spirit of theological modernism. If you look closely at the book in the guy's hand you can see "Loisy" printed very faintly on the cover. Loisy, a priest, was one of the founders of theological modernism. Unfortunately, he wound up getting excommunicated. Remember, it was Pius X who said that "modernism is the synthesis of all heresies." I personally like to add the qualifier "theological" to the modernism to which Pius refers. I mean, I'm a huge fan of modernism in poetry and fiction (Eliot, Joyce et al)."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thanks Frank! I did post it before but removed it because someone complained I think or I was going through a purge not to write anything about gay-priests - or something. Thanks.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.