Thursday, September 14, 2017

Exaltation

Arezzo. San Francesco. Crucifijo del Maestro di San Francesco.


Traditionally the monastic fast begins today.

During the great monastic fast, which lasts from 14 September to Ash Wednesday, except for Sundays and feast days, dinner is an hour later, and supper consists of a glass of wine and a crust of bread ne potus noceat (Carthusian Statutes).

When I stayed with the Carthusians I noticed they also fasted from dairy products from now until Easter.  In my experience, the suppers were not as frugal as the statute above indicates.  I'm not sure what other monastics do these days.  I know Discalced Carmelite nuns observe the monastic fast, I'm not sure what they do however.  

I love this feast since it always reminds me of St. Francis and so many Franciscan saints, whose only book was Jesus and him crucified.


History of the Feast of the Exaltation.
To this day the Eastern Churches, Catholic and Orthodox alike, celebrate the Exaltation of the Holy Cross on the September anniversary of the basilica’s dedication. The feast entered the Western calendar in the seventh century after Emperor Heraclius recovered the cross from the Persians, who had carried it off in 614, 15 years earlier. According to the story, the emperor intended to carry the cross back into Jerusalem himself, but was unable to move forward until he took off his imperial garb and became a barefoot pilgrim. - Read more here.

3 comments:

  1. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all things to myself. John 12:32.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Feast of the Exaltation reminded me of the famous praise song "Lion of Judah" that John Michael Talbot helped make famous.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syRn7VBjPLU

    My favorite lines:

    Lion of Judah come to earth
    I want to thank you for your birth
    For your living birth
    your death on a tree
    for your resurrection victory

    Alleluia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benedictines who actually follow the Rule (which are few and far between) observe the monastic fast with one meal taken after None. In Lent, that one meal is moved to after Vespers. There are, in the Rule of St. Benedict no collations during this time, although some Monasteries allow for a light collation right in the morning. The Benedictines in Norcia observe this fast - and as an Oblate of that monastery I try to do it as much as I can given my state in life. The Monastic Fast is a great gift to the Church and more lay people should observe it. We have become very lax with our penances. As our Lady told the shepherd children in Fatima "God is pleased with your sacrifices." So, let us seek to please God.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.