"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Rosh Hashanah 5777

Happy New Year


  1. Except we are really more like 7215 ...

  2. You know, I think some people were yesterday giving me extra much alms so I could celebrate Rosh Hashanah, but I can't really tell them "happy new year 5777" when it is really anno Mundi 7215 (see Roman Martyrology for Dec 25), and will be 7216 for most of their 5777.

    But I can do some mathematics on the comparisons (no prime factors shared, btw):



    451 = 41*11

    Hope some of them will see this.

  3. Hans - that's interesting - thanks.

    What fascinates me about Rosh Hashanah is the remembrance of the creation of Adam. It was the center of my meditation at bedtime last night, and a real joy to think about upon waking this morning. Imagine God making man in his own image ... that is truly awe inspiring. Some Catholics want a feast for God the Father - I think we already pretty much have it in Rosh Hashanah. Then we can tap it off with a day of fasting and prayer, Yom Kippur. If I wasn't Catholic the only other thing I could be is Jewish. Salvation comes through the Jews. Praise God!


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.