Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Feast of Our Holy Mother St. Teresa of Avila



The Fifth Centenary of her Birth.

I do not want to distract from devotion to St. Teresa on her solemnity, except to say - her teaching informs my life and her influence is very often manifested on my blog.  If I lived in her time, and somehow we were acquainted, I would have been the toad the Lord sent to warn her about vain conversations and inordinate friendships.  May she pray for my salvation - the forgiveness of my sins and the grace to love the truth.

St. Teresa of Jesus, pray for for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.

Happy feast day to all my Carmelite friends!

2 comments:

  1. Gave a little reflection on St John of the Cross as his and St Teresa's new images were blessed by Bishop
    Garcia in front of the Carmelite Monastery Chapel in Carmel this sparkling morning. Scandalized the brethren because I referred to the Calced Carmelites who imprisoned John in Toledo and regularly beat him as 'creepy.' Only word that seemed to fit. He has always seemed one of the most lovable saints: how anyone could lock him in a virtual closet and regularly beat him (scars lasted the rest of his life) is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you - I know how close you are to Carmel and I thought of you today.

      I agree about St. John - it would have been like torturing an innocent little kid - he and Little Therese were alike - very innocent souls I think. We think of him as harsh - but he wasn't.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.