"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Friday, October 16, 2015

I think Flannery O'Connor is over rated.

"There's many a blog that could have been prevented by a good teacher." - Flannery O'Connor

Yeah.  Well.  No one cares.



  1. Same with G.K. Chesterton.

    1. You too? I thought I was the only other person to think that!

    2. G.K. is overrated.

      If Flannery O'Connor never said or wrote anything more than her defense of the Eucharist to a patronizing Mary McCarthy, she couldn't be overrated --

      "I then said, in a very shaky voice, “Well, if it’s a symbol, to hell with it.” That was all the defense I was capable of but I realize now that this is all I will ever be able to say about it, outside of a story, except that it is the center of existence for me; all the rest of life is expendable."

  2. Oh man. I was virtually disemboweled a few years ago for mocking the Chestercult on First Things. I still have scars.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.