"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Monday, April 13, 2015

I'm watching Wolf Hall.



I'm not supposed to like it, but I do.


Even though it is a highly fictionalized account, it's interesting to watch - it reminds me of the state of church and politics today - and the interaction of some of the more popular characters within the Catholic blogosterium.  I never ever imagined Thomas Cromwell as a sympathetic character before this.


Last night's episode was a bit slow, but the acting is very good and the sets and costumes are excellent.  I'm always interested in looking at history from the bigoted, anti-Catholic POV.  Cromwell's criticism of the monasteries and his suggestion to a cleric that surely he must have a woman on the side is contemptuous.  The same invective is spread today as well.  I dislike the way St. Thomas More is portrayed, although the depiction seems to fit the profiles of a few of the staunch Catholics one encounters online.


Somehow, none of it matters to me right now.

5 comments:

  1. Now there's a metaphysical question for Monday. "What matters to me today?" After Mass we are going to get four of our granddaughters for the week -- now that matters to me and puts a smile on my face. Also...the bees are thinking about swarming and we need to outsmart them so we don't lose half the hive. Hmmmm...what strategy shall we use? I think that's enough for one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a beautiful life! Enjoy the grandkids - they are fortunate to have you.

      Delete
  2. ....I so admire the acting of Masterpiece that I can not quite stay away, and it Is difficult to see the portrayal of Catholicism: to see it being yet again perpetuated is a heart-breaker. Yet another couple of generations learning the slant, and not "the squint".
    that said....Mark Rylance is so astounding an actor - such subtle movements of his face that convey So much ! Damien Lewis....Band of Brothers, especially Forsyte Saga, now both long ago...
    ...The power of this medium ! We open our eyes and ears and critical thinking will, we think, be acting in us: and yet the power of each inflection, tone, flick of facial muscle exerts a message that creeps in....I think of this especially when I have the opportunity to see the national news vs. /fox, cnn et al: what an Orwellian battle. on the news it is a blunt tool.....
    I will not be able to talk about watching this show with my evangelical/protestant friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insight - thanks Consolata.

      Delete
  3. +JMJ+

    I generally don't like watching Historical dramas, however well done, because I already know how everything turns out, and watching the events unfold at a slower pace is like getting to know all the passengers who are about to get on a plane that I already know is going to crash and burn.

    Sometimes I want to grab some of the "characters" and scream in their faces: "Don't you know that your actions are going to snowball and that we are going to pay???"

    Then I remember that to someone else, we are the characters of history, who don't realise what tragedies we are paving the way for. =P And if someone from the future came to tell us, would we care?

    If I'm still watching at that point, I kick back, relax, and think that our zombie apocalypse isn't so bad as long as my reinforced entrances and exits hold and I have an endless supply of high-quality entertainment. Pure decadence . . .

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.