Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Homogenized Homosexuality




I don't think it can be done ...

I think there have to be 'term limits'.

Think of SSA - same sex attraction.  I think everyone finds members of their own sex attractive.  That's why we gravitate to this or that sports figure, actor, celebrity, even friends.  It doesn't mean we find them sexually attractive, not at all.  Many times there is something about their personality we find 'attractive'.  Attraction is basic instinct.  We are attracted by beautiful churches and art for instance.  Hummingbirds are attracted by red flowers.  Whatever.

That said, Same Sex Attraction terminology can be good for kids and youth and those who are intent upon reordering their sexuality and all of that - but to say I have same sex attraction sounds like a disease.  In reality, it's simply an inclination, a condition.  To say I experience same sex attraction may be more meaningful in terms of temptation - but even in that case, it seems to me to be more accurate to say I experience same sex lust or infatuation - but attraction?  Nothing is wrong with that.  See what I mean?

I know it sounds as if I'm being deliberately obtuse, yet I'm thinking of those people who have lived most of their life identifying as gay, or identified by others as gay, it just seems to be a little strange to expect someone to suddenly come out and announce, "I'm not gay."  Or, "I'm not gay, I just thought I was - or you just thought I was." Or, "I used to be gay, but now I'm SSA."  See what I mean?  

What I'm trying to say here, terminology shouldn't be an obstacle to living a chaste and celibate life in obedience to the Gospel.  It shouldn't be a 'new commandment' or hoop to jump through for Catholic faithful.

Gay.  Homosexualist.  LGBTQ.  Those are pretty much political terms.*

An individual may use them interchangeably - although homosexual-ist would probably not be in his/her vocabulary.  Culturally - in general usage - people say "gay".

Same sex friendship is normal.  Same sex marriage is not.  Same sex sexual acts and lust is not.  Church teaching, based in Scripture and sacred Tradition, uses the term homosexuality when speaking of homosexual inclination and acts, and teaches it is sinful and disordered.

Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.

Therefore special concern and pastoral attention should be directed toward those who have this condition, lest they be led to believe that the living out of this orientation in homosexual activity is a morally acceptable option. It is not.


[...]


(A) homosexual person, as every human being, deeply needs to be nourished at many different levels simultaneously.



The human person, made in the image and likeness of God, can hardly be adequately described by a reductionist reference to his or her sexual orientation. Every one living on the face of the earth has personal problems and difficulties, but challenges to growth, strengths, talents and gifts as well. Today, the Church provides a badly needed context for the care of the human person when she refuses to consider the person as a "heterosexual" or a "homosexual" and insists that every person has a fundamental Identity: the creature of God, and by grace, his child and heir to eternal life. - CDF Letter to Bishops

  

So, SSA is a condition. Homosexual inclination is a condition.

Gay is the term in common usage.

Behind the label, is a person, a soul, with free will.


*The difference between gay politics and the Church, as well as the Church's pastoral care for gay people, seems to me to be demonstrated most clearly today, in the fact the Vatican has not accepted the credentials of the newly appointed French Ambassador to the Holy See.  I believe the appointment may be seen as a provocation, a political move by France to imply approval for gay marriage and gay politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.