Sunday, February 01, 2015

Going beyond ...



I've been reading some thoughts expressed by other writers online.  Some write about moving beyond Jesus, beyond the Church, beyond the concept of sin.

I suppose one can do that.

Yet I don't want to.

I don't want to ever go beyond Jesus ... I don't want to go beyond the Church.

Anyway, even if I wanted to ... I'm not strong enough on my own.  I'm weak.

As St. Therese would say, I'm too little ...
"How happy I am to realize that I am little and weak, how happy I am to see myself so imperfect". 
"It is needful to remain little before God and to remain little is to recognize one's nothingness, expect all things from the good God just as a little child expects all things from its father; it is not to be troubled by anything, not to try to make a fortune. Even among poor people, a child is given all it needs, as long as it is very little, but as soon as it has grown up, the father does not want to support it any longer and says: "Work, now you are able to take care of yourself". Because I never want to hear these words I do not want to grow up, feeling that I can never earn my living, that is, eternal life in heaven. So I have stayed little, and have no other occupation than of gathering flowers of love and sacrifice and of offering them to the good God to please Him.
To be little also means not to attribute to one's self the virtues that one practices, believing that one can do something, but to acknowledge that the good God has placed these treasures in the hands of His little child so that the child can make use of them as needed, but always as the treasures of the good God.
Finally, it means not be to discouraged by one's faults because children often fall but they are too little to hurt themselves badly." - St. Therese of Lisieux

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's like saying, "I can go beyond eating." I couldn't live without the Eucharist. And I wouldn't want to.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.