"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Oscar de la Renta, RIP

An extraordinary gentleman.

+July 22, 1932 - October 20, 2014+

Asked in an interview: Are you religious, Oscar?

De la Renta replied: Yes. I was born and raised a Catholic. If you were to see me at night, you might think I am deeply stupid. I say exactly the same prayer that I was taught when I was 6 years old: “Four little corners has my bed, four little corners keep me safe.” These are all in Spanish, of course, so I am translating here. The other one I say is, “God I go to bed with, the God I wake up with.” And the last one is, “Angel please keep me company, never leave me alone, not by day nor by night.” - Source


  1. +JMJ+

    My favourite designer! =( You didn't know that about me, did you, Terry?

    My half-Spanish grandmother also taught my younger self a prayer that I will never forget: Jesusito, de mi vida, yo soy nino como tu. Por eso te quiero tanto y te doy mi corazon! (Apologies for any spelling errors! I don't actually speak Spanish--LOL!) My cousin and I were lisping it from a very early age, not at all understanding what it meant, which might make it seem pretty pointless now, though it actually wasn't.

    We also learned the Guardian Angel prayer. That I still say every night.

    1. I did not know that - but I'm not surprised.

      I like that he described himself as Catholic and mentioned his nightly prayers. The author mentioned he laughed after he said he was Catholic - but I edited it - I didn't want readers to get a wrong impression. I believe he laughed only because of the childhood custom he continued into adulthood.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.