"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

2014 Catholic Press Association Awards

Conratulations Mr. Winters!

A08c: BEST ONLINE BLOG - Individual
First Place
National Catholic Reporter, Kansas City, MO, “Distinctly Catholic” by Michael Sean Winters

I didn't know they did that.

Give out awards, I mean.  I went through the list of categories and publications and surprised myself how 'illiterate' I am about Catholic publications.  I don't really read much current Catholic stuff - which may explain why I've been able to keep the faith, and may also account for why no one reads me.  (That's a good thing, BTW.)

That said - I found it interesting to whom the awards went to - I didn't notice many representatives from the blogosphere - although congratulations are due to First Place winner, Elizabeth Scalia - I did not know she wrote for Our Sunday Visitor.  (See, I don't read up on people either.)  I also noticed a Catholic mom blogger from Hawaii won a blogging award as well.  I'd call these 'real' awards.

Joan Chittister won an Honorbale Mention I think.  I laughed because I didn't think people thought of her as Catholic.  (See - I don't get out much.)  What was most interesting is that National Catholic Reporter won Best something or other and received high praise in a couple of categories.  What does that say?  As did America magazine BTW.  I've read people say it's not even Catholic to link to them.  Other publications/writers not normally endorsed by most bloggers I link to, and definitely not endorsed by the Pewsitters/Pulpit/New Adventist/EWTN affiliates, received awards as well.  No Fr. Z awards though.  I know he won't mind of course - I think he is like me and disdains awards and honors.

I'm so far outside, I'm even outside the outsiders.

I like it like that.

M05a: BEST REGULAR COLUMN - Spiritual life
First Place
“Ora Pro Nobis” by Elizabeth  Scalia

It is a very diverse Church in the United States, isn't it.

I guess Team Patheos rocked a panel on digital media.


  1. Terry ! thank you for posting about that: I never knew about it either & was quite overwhelmed to see the massive amount of writing going on, conferences, et al. And it goes back a number of years !
    I like checking things like that out though: as one can find a diamond or two in there: the book about Julian of Norwich, and the letters of Sister Wendy.
    It certainly can be easy to skirt about the edges of our need/desire for constant attentiveness to Christ within us, by the busy-ness all about us - I often hear comments of Father Dubay in my mind, and wish he were still with us - such a pastor. Sometimes very late at night I find him on ewtn -
    btw ! my brother blew into town for a brief visit, and bought me a very sweet, (very) little lap-top, and hooked me back up: it felt like the matrix, plugged back in. *phew*.

  2. I love how I look absolutely certifiable in that picture.

    1. I think you look very assured - your display a positive attitude with that smile. You are with a solid group of bloggers. Elizabeth Scalia deserves an award simply for assembling all of you into one very influential Catholic portal. Yep - I'm totally serious about that.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.