Thursday, October 24, 2013

"God’s mercy does not dispense us from following his commandments or the rules of the Church."

 
 
Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Müller on remarried divorcees.
God’s mercy does not dispense us from following his commandments or the rules of the Church. Rather it supplies us with the grace and strength needed to fulfill them, to pick ourselves up after a fall, and to live life in its fullness according to the image of our heavenly Father. - On the indissolubility of marriage, Archbishop Muller
 
Failing an annulment, a divorced and remarried Catholic could be admitted to the reception of communion, if...
Where nullity of marriage cannot be demonstrated, the requirement for absolution and reception of communion, according to the Church’s established and approved practice, is that the couple live “as friends, as brother and sister”. Blessings of irregular unions are to be avoided, “lest confusion arise among the faithful concerning the value of marriage”. A blessing (bene-dictio: divine sanctioning) of a relationship that contradicts the will of God is a contradiction in terms. - ibid

It seems to me that this practice could apply to same sex friends who decide to live chastely and celibately in fidelity to Catholic teaching on sexuality.  Catholic teaching on marriage can never be changed to permit same sex marriage or the blessing of civil unions for this very reason:
Blessings of irregular unions are to be avoided, “lest confusion arise among the faithful concerning the value of marriage”. A blessing (bene-dictio: divine sanctioning) of a relationship that contradicts the will of God is a contradiction in terms. - ibid
As for the appeal to Christ's mercy, it may help to be understood this way:
A further case for the admission of remarried divorcees to the sacraments is argued in terms of mercy. Given that Jesus himself showed solidarity with the suffering and poured out his merciful love upon them, mercy is said to be a distinctive quality of true discipleship. This is correct, but it misses the mark when adopted as an argument in the field of sacramental theology. The entire sacramental economy is a work of divine mercy and it cannot simply be swept aside by an appeal to the same. An objectively false appeal to mercy also runs the risk of trivializing the image of God, by implying that God cannot do other than forgive. The mystery of God includes not only his mercy but also his holiness and his justice. If one were to suppress these characteristics of God and refuse to take sin seriously, ultimately it would not even be possible to bring God’s mercy to man. Jesus encountered the adulteress with great compassion, but he said to her “Go and do not sin again” (Jn 8:11). God’s mercy does not dispense us from following his commandments or the rules of the Church. Rather it supplies us with the grace and strength needed to fulfil them, to pick ourselves up after a fall, and to live life in its fullness according to the image of our heavenly Father. - ibid

8 comments:

  1. Very timely for me. I have a sister going through the annulment process, but she's also proceeding with a civil marriage to her long-time companion this week. I told her I didn't feel comfortable attending, as I wasn't sure if there were any canonical preclusions to a (hopefully) faithful Catholic attending such a ceremony. At the same time, we express our love for her and hope that her situation can become ... regularized? Is that the word? Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's "solemnized". Sounds hideous...

      Delete
  2. "God’s mercy does not dispense us from following his commandments or the rules of the Church."

    I have always believed and still do, that it is only because of his mercy that I try and remain faithful to following his commandments and to listen, contemplate, and obey the rules set forth by the Church based on Christ's teachings.

    My vocation in life is not one of marriage so it is hard for me to understand what it must be like to want to receive the holy Eucharist and not be able to do so because you are divorced and remarried.

    I will trust in what the Church teaches in this regard but I will also pray that the many who find themselves in such a state can persevere in prayer and in hope and in faith.

    I have a cousin who, for many years, was unable to receive the Lord in the Eucharist. She was very sad about it and prayed for a long time that one day she would be able to receive. She was married outside the Church, yet she remained faithful and did not disobey the teachings of the Church on these matters. She did not ever decide she "was just going to do things her way" and go ahead and go to communion even though she was so sad about it.

    Because she was faithful for so long the Lord remembered her in his mercy. Her husband finally accepted to consecrate their marriage in the Catholic Church and as she had hoped for so long...she was finally able to receive our Lord Jesus in holy communion. I remember her being so happy and so grateful as she remains to this day. ^^

    "Your mercy is my hope, oh Lord!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaya..I love your thoughtful posts.

      Delete
    2. Mack,
      You are too kind. Thanks...please pray for me as I will pray for you. ^^

      Delete
  3. No fair! I'm special. I shouldn't have to follow the rules.

    What?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a divorced catholic, remarried outside of the church.
    My heart aches to receive the Eucharist. Some days I wonder why do I continue to attend mass. Yes go apply for an Annulment like going to the store to purchase a dress, no one realizes that Annulments are not easy and lengthy and expensive. No, I am not a cafeteria Catholic, or do I feel things should be my way.
    I will take my sin to the grave and pray that the Lord will have mercy on my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - annulments can be difficult and they do take a long time - I have a friend waiting for the results for his case and it seems forever.

    I hope the latest news from the Vatican is encouraging for you. You are good to remain a practicing, faithful Catholic. Continuing to attend Mass, to pray, and so on. Likewise the desire for communion is in a way, God's desire as well - he initiates it, it is his pledge for communion with you too. He doesn't leave us and that is surely a signal grace. It is not an empty desire. As you know, we can communicate spiritually. Spiritual communion is available to us when we cannot communicate sacramentally.

    I hope you never become discouraged, just as I hope you retain confidence in God's love and mercy. I say this because my mother was divorced and remarried my dad, who was a non-Catholic.

    She suffered all of her life from guilt and her life became very disordered as a result. She prayed, but kept far away from Mass and any church. She trained my siblings and I in the faith, sent us to Catholic school, but strangely resented any sign of piety. She drank heavily, and gave herself up to abuse by my dad. She seemed to accept her punishment by life and the cruelty of my dad as if she were condemned to do so. Thanks be to God, she was reconciled to the Church shortly before she died. (My dad was too.)

    That's a 'horror' story, and you obviously are much healthier than that - but beware temptations to despair or thinking you are a terrible person. Or staying away from God because you may be tempted to feel unworthy - none of us are worthy - that is why God's love is moved by our misery. That is why Our Lady unties the knots of our lives.

    What Archbishop Muller and both Popes are saying is pretty much that - they are telling the divorced and remarried not to give up. Continue to have faith and trust in God - you remain part of the Church. So be the best wife and mom you can be and love - have confidence and love - and keep praying and living a good life.

    Sorry to go on and on, or if I misunderstood your situation, just ignore what I say here. Nevertheless, for all - it is important to pray always and never lose heart, no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in.

    I pray but I'm not at all holy - I have confidence in Our Lady, so I will pray for you when I pray my rosary. Please pray for me too.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.