Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Record Numbers on Disability



At the risk of sounding callous, I wouldn't be surprised if a high number of cases involve mental health issues.*  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  On the other hand, I wonder if disability hasn't become the new welfare, or the alternative to unemployment compensation as benefits cease?
The total number of people in the United States now receiving federal disability benefits hit a record 10,978,040 in May, up from 10,962,532 million in April, according to newly released data from the Social Security Administration. - CNS

This is a very bad indicator for the country.

It is also unsustainable.

*Perhaps the consequences of living without faith in a culture of death.


 

5 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    This reminds me of something else I read on The Last Psychiatrist and which I'm having a hard time finding again. So don't quote me yet! =P

    TLP pointed out that if people have to prove that they are physically ill or handicapped in order to receive benefits instead of working, then fewer people would receive benefits. But if people can get a doctor to diagnose them with some condition (whether or not you actually have it), then they have a sweet ticket to free funds.

    And it's also a very bad indicator--and totally unsustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My commie brother's newest wife (number 4) has been on SSI for years because she's too "nervous" to work. Except she does work. Just not enough to disqualify her for benefits. I'm sure that's part of the reason he married her. Total scam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And...........her parents are quite wealthy and were perfectly capable of supporting her. Double scam!

      Delete
  3. http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work as a work comp adjuster and I can assure you there are hundreds of thousands of folks, particularly in California, who have no business being on disability - but they are - thanks to crooked physicians, attorneys, and activist Judges.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.