Thursday, May 09, 2013

I'm back: Day Two



I really recommend a break from the Internet - a complete fast - no phone, no checking mail, no going to favorite news portals even just to get headlines.  I recommend praying a lot more, and if you don't paint like I do, work in the garden, in the yard, do something physical - to allow your mind to roam.  Allow yourself time for reflection and recreation.  I don't think the Internet is an appropriate form of recreation.  When you come back online you have a healthier perspective.

Maybe it's the subject matter of my painting,  but I crave pure Catholic doctrine.  I can't be away from the Church, I can't live without the faith.  Life is nothing without the faith... without the Church.  I get a good feeling from faithful Catholic blogs.  There are blogs out there that are not faithful - and we try to be friends, we try to dialogue and be open to ideas - that's fine for scholars and debaters and for people who are trying to convince one another about something...  There is an information overload however.  One can over-expose one's self.  We so want to be understood and accepted - but there is a danger in revealing too much of ourselves - the danger being we can lose out very self.  I'm not sure we need to know every one's innermost thoughts, their deepest struggles, much less that we reveal our own to everyone online.  I can't be a slave to blogs or the combox or the email box - thank God I'm not on twitter or Facebook.

I don't know what I'm trying to say - but be Catholic.  Be faithful.  Be careful of adulterating the faith, of watering it down with false charity.

There is so much evil in the world, so much compromise amongst those who call themselves religious - but the Roman Catholic Church is the only ark of salvation.

Anyway - call me crazy, but I'm back online. 

(I also hit 'publish' too soon.)

Art:  edward gorey

7 comments:

  1. Well, just know that you should never feel obligated to leave comments in other comboxes or to even reply to comments that are left for you here. I don't know if there is a "blog etiquette" but I have often said I never want people to feel obligated to read my blog let alone leave comments. Nonetheless, you were missed and I'm glad you're OK and appreciate the food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to say, "Familiarity breeds contempt." She also said some things should only be between you and your confessor and God. I remember how horrified she was when she was teaching some courses at a Catholic girls' school and one of the nuns said they had the girls keeping a diary and knew who had had abortions.

    Anyway, I agree that people tend today to tell too much. I think it is because they are NOT going to confession. So they confess on TV to Jerry Springer, Oprah, and Dr. Phil. It is certainly sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daily blog must be enormously stressful especially when you've reached the stage where you have your own daily communicants, like here and now.

    Glad just to see that you ARE back. Take all the "refills & retreats; fasting and abstaining" from Internet & the like -- that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:35 PM

    I am thankful for anything you want to share. I am especially thankful for the sentiments you expressed today. God bless and keep you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post Terry. I've been thinking about doing a fast from the Internet for a long time, and I really need to do it now with the news out of Minnesota. I have friends on Facebook who are celebrating the vote, but I just want to scream No! No! No!

    I definitely need to give myself time for reflection and to allow God to give me a new perspective, His perspective. God Bless, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this heartfelt and beautiful entreaty. I agree whole-heartedly! Peace be with you, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I read your blog--I feel strengthened in my faith when I come here. And you make me laugh and think. Thanks, Terry!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.