Monday, June 27, 2011

Best commentary yet on the gay marriage deal...



I found it on Dymphna's blog.
.
At the risk of making her mad at me for being so presumptuous, let me say that I always find great wisdom on Dymphna's little blog.  For some reason she reminds me of Nina on Third Rock From the Sun, the only sensible character in the college office of Dr. Mary Albright and Dr. Dick Solomon, to whom she acts as administrative assistant.  Dymphna is one of the few commonsense bloggers in a blogosphere of opinionated insanity and inflated egos - and I'm trusting she has a good sense of humor too.  But I digress.
.
She's right of course:
.
"A lot of nice, well meaning people in the blogosphere are aghast because gay "marriage" has been legalized in New York state. To be honest, I feel like asking these people where the hell they've been for the last twenty or thirty years. Have they been so self absorbed that they havne't seen what's been going around them?
.
Marriage was already befouled a long time ago and heterosexuals did it." - Dymphna's Road
.
Photo:  Third Rock cast.  I would be Dr. Dick of course.  (Larry is French Stewart's character, and Adrienne is Mrs. Dubchek.

10 comments:

  1. You can see me in my upcoming film The Muppets.

    Terry has a role in that movie, too - he plays Waldorf, as himself. Hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Dymphna too. She's a fellow librarian, and unlike many of our kind, she's full of sense and smarts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Spot on! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen a smack on the patoot that big since I proposed to my wife.

    Really impressive.

    *

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her kindness reminds me of M. Angelica's. It isn't kind or loving to tell people what they want to hear, but what they need to hear. Or should have been told years ago.

    Yes, she's the 'straight-man', no pun intended, of many postings. Although I think I can hear her laughing between the lines. And, she's very brief and concise. No superfluous wording.

    I reach, struggle with words, and spelling.

    Dymphna soars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:24 PM

    That's a great article from Dymphna. Thanks for linking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Marriage was already befouled a long time ago and heterosexuals did it." That pretty well hits the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing worse than a room full pf PhD academics is a room full of PhD scientists and engineers....

    And folks wonder why I don't go for my PhD.... :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read an article in Touchstone a few months ago that basically said that. If heterosexuals are no longer expected to marry for life, and perhaps even more importantly, no longer expected to have a family per se, then it really does seem unfair to prohibit gays from marrying. If sex is only for pleasure, if marriage is only about being with a person you love, then it makes no sense to limit it to one man and one woman.

    In a sense, the gay marriage advocates are right - and the "defenders of marriage" will rail against the gay issue, but nary a peep comes out of their mouths with the issues of divorce and contraception. In that way, it is somewhat odd to single out gays as being the sore point, when heterosexuals hollowed out the life-long union and family part of marriage a long time ago.

    In short, what does heterosexual marriage mean to most people? And that will give you your reason for why so many people accept the idea of gay marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Until the same politicians who block marriage equality propose legislation to ban divorce and remarriage, I won't take them seriously.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.