"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

St. Roch

I finished the panel - well I finished the figures and I'm still glazing and adding details to the background.  I say I finish a piece when I sign it - that means if I died, I wouldn't object if people saw the panel.  I actually think I like it - at one point I was deeply moved while painting it - which is scary because that means I'm attached.  Being attached is scary because you can be afraid to make corrections. 

The history of St. Roch/Rocco is in dispute - but I ignore such things - I venerate the saints as I know them - or as tradition has taught.
Anyway - I may post him on "Up Your Street" in the next day or two.  Unless I fall into deep depression and cut my ear off.  I wish it was as good as the above photo.  Now I'm wondering if it may not be the worst painting I ever did.
Tuesday schedule:  When I'm not painting I will be removing snow.


  1. Rats!

    I would really like to comment on this post, but my mind is a blank canvas.


  2. Terry--

    A lesson I learned not so long ago concerning my music (and I am not a professional in any way)..I was very much the perfectionist...ESPECIALLY if I was going to be playing music for Mass..I would practice my guitar until my fingers were raw and tear myself to shreads when I messed up...yet I had no qualms casually strumming any little ditty that came to my head at an airport or a local park for pocket change...

    What finally hit me that folks LIKED the music, whether it was perfect or not..I would get comments on how a song touched them in a particular sort of way..so I had a long sit down with my self--why do I create music?? Yes I enjoy it for myself but I also enjoy brightening other's day...and in THAT case they are the judge of its quality not me...

    I like your art because it speaks to me...something I would enjoy having in my house.


  3. Sara - that's the best lesson anyone ever taught me. Thanks very, very much!

  4. +JMJ+

    There is so much dignity in the beggar's face and bearing, Terry. He reminds me of a priest lifting the chalice at the Consecration.

  5. Enbrethiliel - I know - see - you catch that stuff.

  6. Austringer7:05 PM

    Enbrethiliel, there is so much dignity in the beggar's face and bearing, that I didn't see him as a beggar at all. I thought that this was some kind of devotional or penitential act -- kneeling on the hard concrete. When I first read your comment, then, I thought you were referring to Terry's painting, not the photo.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.