Thursday, November 17, 2022

Just some thoughts about that.


I spend too much time online.

Now that family follows me on FB, along with others who actually know me, I can no longer be quite as candid as I used to be - which was always too much.

If I say something about what I'm feeling, reflecting upon what that means to me - I get reactions I was never expecting nor looking for.  If I mention heath concerns I get offers to help - which again, wasn't what I was looking for.  Then I get post links - whatever you call being flagged in a post and I don't know how to respond, but if I don't, I'm afraid the other person will be offended.  (This is not a complaint - I'm simply reflecting on how my experience online has changed.)

I scroll looking for something funny or distracting to post as a diversion, only to run out of stuff that interests me or even make me laugh.  In the meantime I keep scrolling by people I follow or link to and sooner or later I see how mundane everything is - and sometimes downright insane.  The crazy things people post - it dawned on me, that is how I must look to others online.

The negativity and cynicism - not to mention the gossip and disparagement of others, be it political or ecclesial really is toxic.  It's contagious.  I never understood that more clearly than when I engaged in discussions - commenting with personal anecdotes regarding a couple of contemplative religious foundations.  In part I believed I was contributing positively as well a supporting some directives from the Vatican.  Long story short, I saw my good intentions were no better than a former religious' intention in exposing the problems associated with the founder and foundation of a Carmelite group out west.  I was so taken aback by the accuser's inclusion of anecdotes, videos and photos, from her former community, apparently using them to establish her credibility and provide evidence to support her report. I had to examine my own part in the brew and realized it was not good.  

I went through my archives as well as posts on Church Militant and removed all my commentary - quite ashamed I had engaged myself so imprudently and without being asked to do so.  I very much doubt my commentary made any difference and was simply anecdotal and personal opinion - yet my involvement amounted to gossip and meddling - something I've censured others for - especially in the case of the former nun in the interview.  I so want to avoid doing things like that, from now on.  

The past couple of days, others I follow online, whom conservatives call 'leftist-Catholics' have taken issue with the elections of a new President and Chairmen of the USCCB.  I looked up some of the concerns they expressed, one or two statements made by the Bishop-elect seemed just fine to me.  Yet other points the critics made - that the election was a clear message of rejection to Pope Francis, if true, is simply very discouraging.  

I don't usually follow the 'politics' of the USCCB and I'm not a bishop-watcher.  From the early days of my conversion until now, the bishops have always simply been on the periphery of my spiritual life.  I've know a couple personally, did some painting for one or two, but that's about it.  I've lived through Bernadine, Roach and others - and none of that threatened my faith or devotion.  If the pendulum has swung the other way, I'll live through this as well.  It's just sad that Catholics are so divided and that so many appear to reject the Holy Father - of course others before them have as well.  So many lay-Catholics regard the Church as a political entity and seem to take sides in the same way they do in American politics.  Taking sides and fighting and defending ones' cause to the point of detraction and calumny is a great evil.  That certainly comes out in com-boxes across social media platforms.

I hope I can learn from my mistakes and the mistakes I discover in others - which only mirror my own - especially if I want to correct or report on them.  Discretion and discernment must be my companion and teacher.

  


3 comments:

  1. Terry, you make a lot of good points.

    A lot of Catholics and non-Catholics look on our Faith and that of others as politics. To me, and I think you, our Faith is first in our lives, and our politics is at a great distance down the line. We do live our Faith, however, and this is reflected in our politics, which, I think, throws others for a loop. They simply do not understand how it is for us.

    I know what you mean about FB. I have a dear family member, whom I have loved all her/his life, who is transgender and has had a double mastectomy to affirm his/her life choice. She has changed her name and married a lovely girl, who I also love. They had a baby this year.

    That said, I am horrified by their life decisions and do not think this is pleasing to God. But I feel I must muzzle my public comments in order not to wound them.

    It is an upside-down world we are living in, dear friend. Which is the way Satan likes it.

    I personally think the only label we should want for ourselves is *faithful* Catholics - not liberal or conservative, progressive or traditional. I know something of Archbishop Broglio, since he comes from the Cleveland Diocese and was formed here. I trust him and think others should give him a chance.

    Be at peace, dear Terry. And thank you for providing a place for people like me to be ourselves, and to speak from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. We agree on these matters. I actually like Broglio a lot and really support his clarifications regarding what the Holy Father has said - I'm quite sure the pope would appreciate his effort. I just didn't see it as a rejection of Pope Francis. Regarding his concession to conscientious objectors to Covid-vax, that is certainly not a rebuff to Francis. I think critics make too much of that sort of discretionary direction by individual bishops. There is one newly elected bishop who was or is a Vigano supporter - that's all I know, so it could be a problem - but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. A very good reflection. I too have further adjusted my social media "contributions" over the last couple years. Sometimes I still slip but am determined to keep to the narrow path. God Bless you Terry!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.