Sunday, November 18, 2018

If I were a monsignor or a bishop ...



I would resign.

Instead of complaining that they are not branch managers of the Vatican or that the Pope isn't doing what they want him to do - resign.  Throw your mitre and crosier in the ditch.  Renounce your titles and comfy homes, and just be a priest.  Maybe a missionary priest right in your own diocese.  Or just be a pastor, but without all the honors.  Prove that you aren't a slave to clericalism.  Especially if you have a more lowly title, such as domestic prelate - give it back.

I know lay people who serve the poor and evangelize among the poor - without recompense.  They have families, but they respond to the needs of others, without fanfare.  They don't sit behind a desk or write articles for newspapers, or flash their good works online for people to see.  They aren't on TV shows complaining about the Pope.  They really live the Gospel.

Just a thought.

4 comments:

  1. That would be a true test of a priestly vocation. We have seen none so far. I can only think this is the fulfillment of prophecy in our time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some priests complain… and so some start to complain about priests complaining… and then along come those who want to complain about those who complain about priests complaining… and others who complain against those not complaining about priests complaining or not complaining…

    I say this without judgment on anyone except myself as I have been complaining to my wife all day about one thing or another. I hope to get though the rest of the day without making another complaint. – not even to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpBFmWm0eE

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.