Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Saint of the Day – 17 October – St Ignatius of Antioch

St. Ignatius of Antioch, pray for us!
“I am a kernel of wheat for Christ. 
I must be ground by the teeth of beasts 
to be found bread (of Christ) wholly pure”.

I think of St. Ignatius as a Eucharistic saint-martyr.  This morning I thought, now with St. Oscar Romero we have two individual Eucharistic martyrs imaging both the Body and Blood.

I'm not sure if I expressed it well, but the holy death of St. Oscar Romero at the moment of consecration is as edifying to me as the martyrdom of St. Ignatius.  Imagine the blood of Christ mixed with the blood of Romero.  It makes me tremble.

St. Oscar Romero, pray for us!




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ignatius is a great saint:

      In speaking of the authority of the church, he was the first to use the phrase “catholic church” in writing. He wrote in this regard: See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is administered either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. —Letter to the Smyrnaeans, Ch 8

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.